63 | ACT IV, SCENE II

P R E V I O U S L Y

"You stubborn lady," he finally replied. "If it finally comes to blood, do you really think I'd let them touch you, ever? I gave you an oath. And I will always keep that oath. Come hell or high water."

CARLEIGH PALACE, SUNCAIRN, ELLESMERE

TRISTAN

THE SMALLEST COFFINS WERE THE heaviest.

It was the hardest thing I had ever watched, the worst thing that could happen to a parent: the death of a child.

It was a thing I'd never wish even on the worst of my enemies.

Amphitrite's face had turned a tired shade of pale from the ceaseless sobbing, doubled over in grief and pain of the raw miscarriage. Eric had aged a hundred years in the last few hours, his eyes red rimmed with tears that refused to dry, he looked older than his father himself.

She was holding those three little bundles in her arms, swaddled in cloth of white muslin, pale and still and lifeless. It was impossible to look at those innocent little faces, faces that would never wake, faces stiller than stone and stained with their parents' tears.

Rosalva pleaded Amphitrite to let them go till her voice went hoarse. But she refused, stubbornly shaking her head as even more moisture dripped down her cheeks, making my heart sink.

Knives scraped above, carving marble coffins for the dead.

Eric broke down into a fresh wave of tears as I sorrowfully touched the dead children's foreheads in a tender, affectionate gesture. Amphi started sobbing again into my shoulder as I paid my last respects.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered sadly. "I'm so, so sorry."

"She killed them. Edwina killed them," she said hollowly.

"Amphitrite, she is your sister."

"Sister?" she cackled. "Sister?! God forbid I EVER CALL HER MY SISTER AGAIN! I DON'T WANT TO SEE HER, I DON'T WANT TO SPEAK TO HER, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR HER NAME MENTIONED TO ME EVER AGAIN!"

"Amphi-"

"No," she cried. "No. She did it. She fed me poison. Do you know what she said to me before giving it to me? Drink this and go to sleep."

"She-"

"-I saw it," Vanessa said angrily. "I saw it."