vi

Chapter Six: Mad Girl

He wandered off and decided he might as well go look for Taehyung. He hadn't seen him all night, which was a little surprising. Taehyung wasn't the type to keep in the background at a party––and a thought crossed his mind, what if Taehyung had left? It didn't seem like something he would do, but then again, he could be a bit of a mystery. Who knew, maybe something had happened? He decided he would look for him anyway, as the thought of going back into the living room and having to chat with the guys on the swim-team about empty things seemed like literal torture. He hated small talk. And he wasn't going to disturb Jimin and Yoongi––he didn't want to third-wheel.

      He always felt like he was the only one sober at parties. It was difficult, he often wasn't able to understand the logic of the drunks, they seemed to have a different flow of thought than he had. He often felt like he was a babysitter, trying to keep children intact, children who were way up past their bedtime, who had major mood-swings, going from hyper to cranky, from touchy to sad and could very much to with a lie-down.

      Jeongguk didn't drink. He didn't plan to. There was something about the thought of losing control of his brain which terrified him. About going too far. He knew better than anyone what could happen when one went too far. Besides, he knew how to have fun without alcohol. It was entertaining enough to simply sit and observe horny teens, who were not in their right mind, try to function as normal human beings.

      But still, he felt the pressure around him. Sometimes he would try to act a little tipsy, it wasn't necessarily difficult when everyone around him acted that way. But he felt like a phoney––but he just couldn't bring himself to drink, he felt sick at the thought of it.

      He wandered into the front room, which acted as a crossroad in the house, as it led to the living room, the kitchen, a hallway and the upper floor. He shifted in his step, not knowing where to go, but he suspected that if Taehyung was anywhere to be found, it would be upstairs.

      He was cut off on the stairs. He was about to walk up, he had his hand on the rail, when as if out of nowhere, a girl turned up on his side, leaned on the other side of the bannister and placed her hand on top of his. It was Nari, from homeroom.

      She tucked her hair behind her ears. Her eyes were heavy as she looked at him.

      "I didn't know you were here," she said, her voice lathered with tease.

      Jeongguk, still standing on top of the first step of the stairs, looked at her blankly. He had gotten an invite. Had Mina maybe said something? Nari was one of Mina's friends––she had many of them and they often walked in packs so it was difficult to decipher who was who. He hadn't ever really noticed Nari, he had never even known her name before the project, but from spending an hour with her, he could already tell she had a big personality. He couldn't be sure whether she was making fun of him or not.