Chapter 21

Alessandro

The laughter from the dinner-table echoed through the whole Estate. It was always loud and cheerful when there was a meal; it was the time when everyone got together and took their minds elsewhere from the chaotic day. Rosie was sitting at the table with us and I was rocking Arianna in her baby-seat, her sleepy noises escaping and bringing a sense of calmness to the room.

Everyone adored her. Our little miracle. She was getting bigger now too – and just learning to speak. All she could say was 'Mama' though and I had to admit that I was disappointed to say the least... though I knew that Elena was way out of my league.

"She's a sweetheart," I spoke with my eyes all lovey-dovey as I looked at my baby girl. She made me into a cuddly teddy-bear and that was something that only rare people could do.

My beautiful fiancé being one of them....

"My sweetheart." Elena added with her fingers gently running over Arianna's chubby cheeks.

I smiled at her – watching how she poured out all her love for her daughter. The best mother in the world... I was sure of it.

"Are you guys still hungry?" Rosie asked with her eyebrows raised in curiosity.

Everyone shook their heads except Elena. She looked up at Rosie and hummed. "Arianna could probably do with some food when she wakes up. You wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not!" Rosie exclaimed, her positive energy shining through as per usual. Her petite figure strolled over to the counter and she began preparing some food for our baby while the usual chattering continued.

Everything was quiet and tranquil... that was until we heard the gunshot. A triumph of feminine screams followed which were clearly from the maids. The scent of smoke drifted through my nostrils and dread filled up inside of me. Everyone froze in their spot. Silence dropped over the kitchen and all our eyes were wide and transfixed on the door.

"What's going on?" Rosie whispered, walking over to the door, before it swung open on her, a number of men crowding the kitchen.

They were his men. I knew it from the very first glance.

Elena, Arianna and I crouched behind some kind of unit that was in the corner where we couldn't be seen. Everything was so quick that I could barely process anything. The gunshots were loud and shocked me to the core. In fact, they shocked everyone to the core.

I wanted to go and fight for my family but I couldn't leave Elena and Arianna alone. They were more important. But I was still worried-sick for my men and Rosie. The gunshots went through me and I prayed that they were safe, hiding somewhere.

I peeked over the unit and noticed their shadows. I couldn't hear my men nor could I hear Rosie. Something told me they'd ran out of the room... and I prayed they had.

Arianna was screaming but her cries were barely heard over the rumbling of the guns and the shouting that took place.

"I know where you are!" Antonio roared over the noise, his familiar laughter following as he got closer. "And I never give up without getting what I want."

He wanted Elena. He wanted to murder her because he wanted to cause corruption in the Bellini family. Revenge from what our families did years ago. The whole Bellini-Rosso feud had been going on since our parents were the bosses and it wasn't going to stop.

Antonio Rosso wasn't going to stop until Elena was dead. But there wasn't a chance that I'd let him kill her. Never in a million years.

"Alessandro," Elena whispered with her eyes wide with horror, looking at me deeply. "He wants me.... he won't stop terrorising this family until he's got what he wants..."