Chapter 29

Kyle

Waiting rooms. I couldn't be more familiar with them if I tried. Yet every damn time I seem to sit in one, it's never for a good cause.

I never thought I'd be sitting waiting for Jameson. It's usually my sister I'm here for, waiting patiently for the results if she's gotten better or not. However today is different. Today Jay's life is on the line and I couldn't be more fucking restless.

Unlike the other strangers around me, I was alone. My shirt covered in his blood clings to my skin, the deep red colour staining through the white. I hadn't stopped gripping at the armrests to the chair I uncomfortably sat on since arriving here all whilst my mind refused to stop whizzing around, thinking why the doctor hasn't addressed me on what Jay's situation is.

Is he doing good? Breathing without the assistance of a machine? I had no idea, and the worry and possibility of how bad his condition could be is eating alive at my insides. Hours have passed now since I first found him deserted alone at home, and many questions including his parents whereabouts when the incident happened continue to dig at my thought process.

Just as my heavy eyes were about ready to allow me to fall asleep, I jump up at the sound of my name being called. The voice of the tall male doctor echoes in the room where I sit with three other patiently waiting strangers.

Jumping quickly to my feet, I follow him through to the corridor where he proceeds to shoot me a friendly glance.

"I'm affraid I'm unable to bring you good news." Wide eyed with my mouth agape, I awaited for him to continue. "Jameson passed away a little under fifteen minutes ago." Frozen, distraught and unable to form words, I fell to my knees, tears forming quickly and brimming in my eyes.

"Mr.Indigo, I really am sorry. We tried our best." He falsely tried to lift my spirits, offering me his condolences. No. I tried to control my breathing, holding my chest as the simple action became so hard for me to carry out. My chest felt tight, and getting tighter the more my breathing picked up. Tears danced down my cheeks, falling at a faster pace than I could manage to wipe them all away with the bottom of my shirt.

My heart fucking ached in my chest and no other feeling I've even felt compared to how much pain I was in. My mind replayed the awful last images I had of Jameson where I held his motionless body close to my chest. I'd never see that face again. The bright, smiling face of my lover who saw the real side of the school's jock.

He's been taken from me. The happiest part to my shitty, crumbling life and he was taken so cruelly. I'd never feel that fire that would ignite in my chest when I heard his laugh or was the one to make him laugh. Or when he'd see past his shyness and pick up the courage to kiss me first. In the hallway when he'd innocently glance at me and look away thinking I never noticed when I did. Fuck, I'd never have that with him again and my heart fucking clenched in my chest as I cried out, releasing my anger at the world and the sick bastard who did this.

"-sir?! Sir please wake up!" Gasping for air, I jump up at the feeling of someone shaking my shoulders with urgency. Eyes scattering around the room, I stop once noticing the presence of the doctor. The same doctor from the nightmare.

"Tell me you have good news." I sighed, attempting to pull myself together after the messed up state Jameson's doctor saw me in moments ago. I doubted that's the first thing he expected to hear after I woke up like I did but after such a scarily real feeling nightmare, I needed confirmation on Jameson's current state.

My eyes were puffy - I knew that much but it didn't stop me from dreading that my nightmare could still turn out to be real. I still hadn't heard from the doctors since Jamie was dragged from me - being rushed away to a room far from sight. At some points I felt like I'd been forgotten seeing as it's been so long but I couldn't quite gather the courage to ask about Jamie as I was and still am far too affraid to hear how bad everything could be. I dreaded the news I was about to receive from this doctor who must have told dozens of people in my position all sorts of information - good and bad - about patients.

"Right, of course," he coughed, returning to hold the professional posture he had the moment my eyes flew open from the dream. "Jameson is doing good. He's in far better condition compared to when he was first rushed in here this morning. We need to run a few tests to make sure his lungs aren't damaged in any way and that he can breathe easily without any possible pain. It appears he was out for a good few hours." I listened carefully to every word which was spelled out to me. Worry must cover my features as I stare intensely at the doctor, trying to process every piece of information at once. Injuries to his lungs? I frowned, my thoughts turning to Rylee.

"Oh." Was all my voice could speak, or rather allow me to. Although I'm more than grateful that Jameson is okay for the time being, the idea that his lungs could be affected reminds me of Rylee and how she's been here many times because of hers. Although neither of the two link together in any way, just hearing that makes my stomach feel uneasy. Maybe because I know how much Rylee has suffered and is suffering? And I really couldn't go on seeing another person I care for hurting.

"I do however have one question which you may or may not be able to answer." I nodded, wanting to see Jamie already. Are visitors even allowed? I hope so, it's been long enough already damnit.

"What happened to Jameson, do you have any ideas?" The question caught me a little off guard. Did doctors usually ask this? Will the police become involved?

"I have no idea. I found him alone in that state after realising he wasn't at school." I sighed, hating that I was really no use at all in this situation. I still had no clue why Jamie left mine so early this morning like he did. When it comes to me finding him unconscious in how own home? I couldn't be more confused if I tried.

With a frown, the doctor nodded with understandment. "Okay, well enough questions for now. I'll take you to see Jameson, though he might not wake for another few hours."

-----

The walk to his room couldn't be quicker. I wanted to drag it out, give myself more time before seeing him laying in a hospital bed. He wasn't on oxygen anymore, but when he was first rushed in here, he had difficulty breathing without assistance.

Jamie, despite being an athlete and being in good shape, is extremely skinny. It's almost concerning how much he lacks fat within his figure. It doesn't matter what happened to him, or how severe it may have been, everyone reacts to injuries differently and everyone has a tollerence to how much of something they can handle. What happened to Jamie seemed to be a case of strangulation, and luckily he's not suffered too much from it, even if it's resulted in him being in hospital.

Not liking the idea of being the only one here for him, I decided to call Jamie's friend Piper. Although I haven't seen the chick around in awhile, I know she's been good to Jamie and that he trusts her - which is exactly the type of person he needs to be around right now.

"The fuck?" Piper spits down the line after a little explaining on my part why she might want to be here for Jamie. I'm not sure what her deal is, but it can fucking wait. "He's not spoken to me in weeks, and you expect me to show up when he's in hospital because he was roughed up at little?" She scoffs, showing no signs of worry not concern after what I've told her.

"Cut the shit, would you? He's hurt, unconscious and could really use a friend right now. And clearly, you've made no effort to contact him either." I speak back rather calmly despite her starting to get at my last nerve. I was just praising mentally how much of a good friend she's been to Jamie this year, and now she says this? I honestly didn't picture her as the holding onto a grudge type of person.

A faint sigh can be heard from the other end of the line before she speaks again. "Sorry, but it's a no Kyle. Fucking the school jock is clearly more important to Jameson than his friends." And with that, the line goes dead. I pull the phone from my ear, staring at the device in disbelief.

Good friend my fucking ass.