CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER TWO: WHO YOU GONNA
CALL?

PULLING A DENIM JACKET over her red sweater, Cassie looked in the mirror and nodded slightly in approval

PULLING A DENIM JACKET over her red sweater, Cassie looked in the mirror and nodded slightly in approval. She didn't know why she had to attend school today, since her brother Steve was planning on ditching.

"C'mon, Steve," Cassie whined, propping herself up on the kitchen counter. "Can't I just stay here with you? I mean, it's not like I'm going to learn anything new at school today."

"No, Cassie," said Steve, grabbing his car keys. "You're going to school."

Groaning in frustration, Cassie hopped off the kitchen counter and grabbed her textbooks, "I don't know if I like the new Steve or the old Steve better. At least the old Steve wouldn't care if I missed a day of school."

"Yeah, well, the new Steve is actually going to be a more responsible older brother," Steve proclaimed, sternly pointing his finger at Cassie.

Swatting his hand away, Cassie walked toward the door, "Fine. Now, are we going or not?"

Chuckling and jogging over to Cassie, Steve muttered, "You know, we are so much more alike than I thought."

A smile tugged at the ends of her lips as Cassie followed Steve out to his car. As the two drove towards the school, they blasted Uptown Girl by Billy Joel.

"Just because I'm in love with an uptown girl!"  Cassie sang, drumming her fingers on the dash. "You know I've seen her in her uptown world."

"She's getting tired of her high class toys," Steve sang along with Cassie. "And all the presents from her uptown boys."

Giggling at her brother's horrid singing, the two siblings arrived at Hawkins Middle School, which was decorated with Halloween themes. Grabbing her textbooks, Cassie turned over her shoulder and looked back at her brother, "I'll probably ride with them after school."

"Alright, call if you need me," said Steve, flipping on his sunglasses. "Later, sis."

As Steve sped off, Cassie turned and spotted her friends, who were dressed as the Ghostbusters for this special occasion. Jogging up to them, Cassie giggled, "Looking handsome, boys."

Beaming, Will turned to the girl, "Thanks, Cassie!"

Winking over to the boy, Cassie turned to the rest of the group, "Honestly, I have respect for you boys for being so brave. I don't think anyone else dressed up today."

As their eyebrows shot up, the boys frantically looked around. Mentally face-palming, Mike turned to Cassie, "We look like total idiots."

"No," Cassie argued. "You look awesome. If anyone says differently they are going to have to answer to me. Now, come on, let's get inside."