Prologue

The fat man spasmed like a dying fish before collapsing on top of Chrissy Shelton. Suffocating under his weight, she waited for him to catch his breath. When she couldn't stand it anymore, she poked him in the ribs. He rolled off her. With some effort, he stood up, tossed the condom in the trash, and gathered his clothes. She avoided looking as he squatted down to pick up his large cotton briefs. That was a sight she didn't need burnt into her memory. There were enough bad things in there already.

Chrissy sat up and used the bed sheet to wipe sweat from her chest and stomach. He ogled her breasts even though moments before he'd had his hands all over them. Men were such pigs. Surprisingly, at thirty years old, her breasts were still perky. Damn. Thirty years. She coughed, and the man realized he'd been caught staring. Hurriedly, he finished dressing and slipped on his expensive loafers.

"You were great," he said with a hand on the doorknob.

She faked a smile. "You too."

"Really?"

"Really. I orgasmed."

His grin was wide and real. "Great. I'll see you next week."

"I'll be here."

The man left, shutting the door behind him.

In truth, he'd barely lasted a minute. She hadn't expected any pleasure from their tryst. That wasn't what this was about. It was business— not that she ever saw any of the money. Instead, she got a roof over head and clothes on her back. Though most of it was lingerie. And smack. She got enough smack to keep her in a constant state of bliss.

Chrissy never believed sex trafficking occurred in America. That was something that only happened in third-world countries. She had no such illusions now. There was also a time she'd worried about escape. Once, she'd made it as far as the bus station, but they'd found her and brought her back. The beating she received for her troubles was so bad she hadn't been able to work for a week. That was the last time she'd been so stupid.

Lifting herself off the well-used mattress, she covered her nakedness with a green silk robe and moved to the makeup table in the corner. She picked up a hairbrush and ran it through her long brown hair. When it was thoroughly combed, she decided to put it in a braid to pass the time. Halfway into her efforts, the door slammed open. The sound startled her, but she managed to hang onto the weaves.

Blake, her pimp, hustled into the room, obviously not caring what state he found Chrissy in. Which could have been hanging upside down from the ceiling, given some of her client's proclivities. Blake was more than her pimp, he was her father, brother, and friend— all rolled into one. She loved him as much as she could love anyone in this cruel life. Eight years ago, the gang who'd kidnapped her had sold Chrissy to Blake since she couldn't pass for a minor any longer. He treated her better than those thugs, but he'd still give her the occasional smack to remind her who was boss. She did her best to avoid his anger. With his well-muscled physique, she'd seen him break a John's arm with one twist. Murder was something he was capable of too, if necessary. She'd witnessed that as well.

In a voice that was a few octaves higher than one would expect from a man of his build, Blake said, "How's my girl?"

"Good. I guess."

"Why are you doing that?"

"Doing what?" Chrissy asked as she twisted a braid.

"Stop. The guys like it down."

"Ain't I done for the night?"

Blake reached over her and grabbed the brush. He roughly ran it through her hair while he squeaked, "No. You have one more customer. A regular."

"Who?"

"Angelo."

Every muscle in her body tensed. "Can't one of the other girls take him?"

Shaking his head, Blake said, "He requested you special."

"Please! I'm still sore from the last time."

He tossed the brush back on the table and inspected his shaved head in the mirror. "Sorry. You have to do it, and then I'll let you have a few days off. I have a new girl that needs to be shown the ropes."

"Another one?"

"Yes, and I'm counting on you to keep her out of trouble. She's a little headstrong."

Through the mirror, she gave him her best smile. "Sure thing, Blake."

"That's my girl." He patted her on the head like she was a dog and exited her bedroom.

Chrissy got up and sat on the corner of the bed. It wasn't long before a short man strode into the room. He removed his tailored suit jacket and tossed it on the vacated stool. Eying Chrissy from head to toe, he licked his lips. She looked down to avoid his menacing stare.

"Take off the robe," Angelo ordered.

She obeyed. The robe puddled at her feet, hiding her chipped nail polish. The seconds ticked by. Her skin heated up several degrees from his ominous glare.

"Turn around and put your hands behind your head."

Following his instructions, she interlaced her fingers at the base of her skull and faced away from him. A tear slid down her cheek in anticipation of what she knew would transpire next. Angelo didn't disappoint as his fist rammed into her kidney. She yelped, doubling over in pain. Before she could scream again, he brought his other hand down on her spine. She cried out in pain.

"Get on all fours and don't move. No matter what."

Face down and ass up. She wasn't surprised. It was the scene he usually wanted to set. With her bottom lip still quivering, Chrissy adjusted herself on the bed, so her knees were on the edge of the bed. She lowered herself down onto her elbows and pressed her forehead into the mattress. The sheets reeked of perspiration and other fluids. She'd have to remember to wash them later. Besides, the new girl would need to learn where the laundry was since it would be one of her responsibilities too.

Chrissy heard Angelo undressing behind her. Goose pimples raised on every inch of her skin with fear. She knew her whimpering excited him, but she couldn't help it. That's probably why he requested her so often. The sounds stopped. He'd be naked now, but nothing happened. She didn't dare move. It was all part of his game to leave her feeling exposed and embarrassed.

Suddenly, an open hand slapped her across the right butt cheek. She bit her tongue to stifle the scream. He followed it up with an equally hard blow to her left side. This time she cried out. Angelo laughed. That was the wrong thing to do. The sadist got off on her pain. He hit her again, propelling her forward on the mattress.

"Get back up."

She tried but was too slow, and Angelo grabbed a fistful of hair and yanked. Hard. Tears streamed down her face. Between her sobs, she managed to get back into position so that he could enter her. To block out what was happening to her body, Chrissy retreated into her head. It was the only way to last in this world. Some of the younger girls couldn't do that, and they didn't last. She knew. Chrissy had seen it happen a month ago. It'd been super sad, but she quickly pushed the thought away to focus on the new girl. Chrissy would do her best to teach her all the tricks, so she wouldn't wind up in a shallow grave in the desert.