xv

Chapter Fifteen: Harmony

The café Jimin worked at was close by the school, on the outskirts of his own neighbourhood. It was a small thing, the café, but a local favourite. It took up a whole corner, and there were big windows on either side where passersby could glance inside. Above the entrance hung a sign, on it golden letters forming the name Johwa café, the café of harmony. Granted, Jeongguk thought the name was a little cheesy, but as he liked the café, he let it slide.

      He was so excited.

      He was going to be meeting Yoongi for the first time. It was funny, as he almost felt like he already knew him, having heard so much about him from Jimin and from having already seen him once.

      Jimin was excited too and Jeongguk had begun to notice a pattern, that whenever Jimin talked about his coworker, he had a very difficult time stopping. He didn't do so at school, as he didn't want to risk anyone hearing of his crush, but as soon as no one was around, school was over and it was just the two of them, he started. He told him anecdotes from work, little quirks Jimin had picked up on as to how he moved, how he bore himself–he was able to describe everything about him–how he would hum while making coffee, or how he pouted when he not only complained but also simply spoke and how excited he would get after his shift was over. He marvelled at how different he was from the first time he had seen him, as then, he had thought him to be quiet and distant, someone a little bit cold, yet now, his laugh was loud, he chatted with Jimin and he made jokes, while of course, still zoning out, getting distracted by his own mind, he would look at nothing in particular while working and suddenly, a soft smile would appear on his lips.

      Jeongguk had gone into the café before, yet still, he felt overwhelmed by it. Above the door, windchimes jingled, signalling his arrival. The little coffee shop was warm, not in temperature, but in colours and aroma. Plants covered up the walls, sitting in the corners and by the windows, there were flowers on many tables, as well as colourful and vintage-looking lights hanging from the ceiling. There were mirrors and paintings on the walls, all in gold frames, big lamps in the corners, comfortable couches and big chairs, all of them different from one another, yet still, all cohesive.

      He followed Jimin up to the counter and sat down by it on a bar-stool as Jimin went in the back to put on an apron and get ready for his shift. He sent a glance to Yoongi, who was already in uniform, as he walked past. Yoongi nodded his way, a simple gesture, but Jeongguk noticed how he smiled to himself after Jimin disappeared through the doorway.

      He had seen Yoongi before, but then the lights had been low, his cheeks had been flushed and he had been standing from afar. Up closer, he had a much softer complexion, his eyes were big and he seemed like a big thinker, like he always had something interesting on his mind. But there was something about him that asserted confidence and when he looked over to Jeongguk, he felt bare without Jimin by his side. Especially as he started walking towards him.