Dishonesty - Chap. Twenty-Three

His fingers moved trails of upturned awareness down her skin; his lips caressed the velvet area behind her ear; and his mouth repeatedly spoke three words, in a low languid voice.

"I love you," Nathaniel breathed into her hair, Abbi could feel the whisper spreading a warm blush across her cheeks, as her lips curved upward at the sentiment.

Her relaxed, cozy dream was starting to melt away when the 'I love you's were beginning to sound more like 'Ah love whale', then three words were turning into three syllables, and the only thing coming from Nathaniel's mouth was Abbi's own name.

"Abigail," Nathaniel shook her shoulders, his fingers gentle, yet firm as he tried awakening her from the crashing pieces of such a perfect illusion.

"What-?" Abbi's eyes peeled open.

Nate was standing in front of her, the sea of his eyes humored and the blond of his hair gleaming gold in the afternoon sunlight.

She was seated in a sun-room. A room that Abbi hadn't been aware of until Jeffery had graciously shown her. It was quaint with bubbly yellow walls, floral decorations and paintings, and a large window seat with a full view of the flourishing green garden.

She had found this room to be much more suitable than Nathaniel's stuffy bedroom, and after finding another book (since he'd, once again, taken the last one), she had settled down here for a second to repose; especially after the previous night.

Abbi looked around the bright room, the back of her hair felt hot from the sunlight pouring in through the window, and the book had fallen from her hands.

"Did I fall asleep?" She asked to no one in particular, feeling disoriented after the mind-bobbling dream, now occupying her waking mind.

"Well, I'm pretty sure that's what you were doing just now, unless you just passed out." Nate said nonchalantly, his mouth lifting into a crooked smile.

She glared at him, made a frown, then adjusted her posture, making sure to keep her expression guarded.

"You don't have to look so angry," Nathaniel said with the same amused eyes. "It was just a joke."

"Not a very comical one," Abbi mumbled, before pushing herself up from the seat. Although her joints were stiff, she still felt fully rested and fulfilled, maybe it was the fact that Nate was there, looking to be savoring the same mood she was. Or just the realization that nothing traumatizing was happening in her life right now.

But even so, just a day ago, Abbi had been forced to endure Lucifer's party, and with her mother being there was just enough heartbreak, but then on top of all that she had been bitten (normally, it wasn't such a minor point in the time line; in this case, though, it happened to be the least of her worries). Once Abbi had faced the greatest living fear inside her body - to know that she loved Nathaniel - he had sent her packing, then came along her confrontation with Lucifer, which didn't prove a thing. So here she was now, sucking up any opportunity to do positively nothing.

But there was still some unspoken conversation that most likely needed to be tread on; she had to talk to Nate, for the sake of her mom's life, and even for her own heart.

They had just entered one curved hallway to his mansion. Unlike Lucifer's home, Nathaniel's had windows along the end of the halls, flushing in golden bars of sunlight, the walls were a pearly shade; everything took on a pristine look.

Abbi was following Nathaniel. It was strange - for him to just wake her up, then leave. She inclined her head, trying to see the end of the corridor over his broad shoulders.

Clearing her throat, rather loudly, Abbi attempted to get his attention, seeing as he already very much had hers. Nate looked back, his expression sly. "Can I help you with something, Love?"