Chapter 29

.:Author's Note:.

Please excuse any mistakes.

***

Jonathan's POV:

Winston bounced his leg nervously as we sat together in the waiting area of the hospital. He wiped his sweaty hands against his jeans every five minutes and chewed on his bottom lip like there was no tomorrow. I watched worriedly as he stared at the doors that led to the ICU without so much as blinking. Only the slight rising and falling of his chest let me know that he was at least breathing.

"You're going to start bleeding soon if you bite any harder," I said lowly to catch his attention. He stopped immediately and turned to face me with a shy, barely visible grin.

"Sorry. Bad habit." He replied while wiping his hands on his pants again. I wrapped an arm around his shoulders and pressed a chaste kiss to his temple before looking into his eyes seriously.

"We'll hear some news soon. Okay?"

"Okay."

After arriving at the hospital, we were told that we had to wait a while in order to see Constance. That was over twenty minutes ago, and we haven't heard another word since then. Doctors and nurses came and went, but no one stopped to explain why we couldn't get into the ICU. The suspense was obviously taking a toll on Winston.

It didn't help that he hadn't gotten as much sleep as I had hoped last night. My boyfriend spent most of the night tossing and turning. It got to the point where I couldn't take any more of his agitated movements and had to hold him firmly against my chest for a few minutes. Even in his sleep, he struggled a bit before finally succumbing to a peaceful slumber. However, not even four hours later, he was up and preparing for the long day ahead of him.

I could tell that fatigue was creeping up on him as we sat impatiently.

"There they are. Daddy! Winston!" One of my twins' voice pulled me from my train of thoughts. Winston and I looked away from the ICU doors to find April and Alyssa rushing over to us with Macy following steadily behind them.

"You sent for the girls?" Winston asked in shock.

"No." I replied before said girls crashed into my arms.

"Daddy!" They greeted with smiles that showed their two front teeth missing. After, they left my arms to cuddle Winston who chuckled as he hugged them back. "We've missed you, Winston!"

"I've missed you both too, so much." He replied, and I was happy to hear the bit of contentment in his voice. "But what are you girls doing here?"

"I'm sorry to do this." Macy said once she made it over to us. "I just got a call from my landlord. Apparently, my apartment flooded."

"What, seriously?"

"Yup. I just hope it's not as bad as she made it seem. I didn't want to bring the girls all the way to Yonkers with me."

"We didn't want to go either, Daddy." April voiced, making us chuckle.

"I can't believe I haven't been back home in almost three months. Time sure does fly."

"My home is your home, Pebbles." I said to my sister with a grin. "You're welcome to stay as long as you want to."

"Well, we'll see how long that'll be when I go inspect the damage." Macy squeezed my shoulder in appreciation before placing her attention on Winston. "How are you holding up, sweetheart?"

"I've seen better days." He shrugged. "Your brother is being my support system; he has been a major help."

"Never expect anything less from him." My sister stated pointedly. "I wish I could stay to show my support."