Chapter Twelve

We were currently driving down to Rome. I mentioned something about loving Italian art, and Nick thought it would be fun to go down to Rome to explore.

I mentioned that my favorite artist is Michelangelo, but I've already seen most of his art in person like my favorite, David, in Florence. I mean look at the amazing detail in the rock. It makes you wonder how Michelangelo was able to create such a realistic sculpture back then.

So Nick asked me what I wanted to see, and I told him the Trevi Fountain. Since we were staying a little below Livorno, Nick said a three hour drive isn't that bad.

The whole drive I've been listening to music and staring out the window or sleeping. So once we finally got there, I was extremely excited to stretch my legs.

Together, we walked around Rome enjoying the beautiful architecture and bits of nature.

"Do you like all the art and buildings?" Nick asked me.

"Yes. It fascinated me that such beautiful creations could have been made back then and still exist today. It's a little saddening that modern art and architecture isn't as beautiful as it once was." I said.

"You don't like modern art and architecture?"

"Not really. Every now and then there is something good, but the really beautiful things were created before the 70s, in my opinion. For movies though, it might be the 2000s since I love Star Wars, Alien, Predator, Rocky, and so on." I explained.

"Interesting. You know I read about that in your journal." He smirked. I slapped his chest.

"I can't believe you read that." I looked away, embarrassed.

He brought my face up to look at him. "As I said before, it's not embarrassing. I truly enjoyed reading it, and agreed with most of the things you wrote in it."

"What didn't you agree with?" I asked, trying to guess in my mind what it was.

"What you wrote about love for starters. I don't believe true love is dead yet. It may seem like it's fading as time keeps moving, but I don't think true love is dead yet." I looked into his eyes to see only the truth. I wrote that with all the cheating and not loyal people in this world, true love died out after the 60s. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure yet.

"What else?" I asked curiously.

"You also wrote about how it seems there are a few number of good people left in the world. I don't agree with that because I met someone good in an alley in Manhattan— a complete stranger— and she was good to me." I chuckled.

"You mean me, right?"

"Of course." He confirmed.

"Well, my opinion on that has changed. Most people seem bad, but they can be good on the inside." I said.

"You mean me, right?" He teased.

"Of course." I laughed.

"We're here." He said. Huh?

I looked up to see the beautiful Trevi fountain. I stared in awe at the magnificent sight in front of me. The detail on the sculptures and the beauty that shined from the depiction of Oceanus. It can only make you wonder how Nicola Salvi was able to do this.

"Amelia." A voice broke me out of my trance. I looked up toward Nick to see him holding out a coin for me. I smiled as I picked it up. I turned my back to the fountain, and he did the same.

"1...2...3" I counted, and we both threw the euros into the fountain with our right hand over the left shoulder.

"I've always wanted to do that. Thank you." I smiled up at Nick.