Forgotten Memories [Kai Hiwatari]

I stood in the last row of the church and yet I could see the bride and the groom. Her and Him. Her and Bryan Kuznetnsov. I almost felt like laughing. At myself, at her, at him, at everyone in short. Or perhaps, at my stupidity. I lost her to such a man...
Within minutes, for me, the marriage was over. They were wedded and she was finally a Kuznetsova.
She flushed red, even in the chilly air and looked around everywhere but at Bryan after he had kissed her once.
"Stop being so shy!!" The Maid of Honour mocked from somewhere in the front rows and she blushed more.
"Kiss her already Bryan!" A groomsman spoke this time.
The crowd was chuckling as Bryan pulled his wife in a small peck on the lips to tease her. "Woohoo!" Someone whistled and she hid her face in her hands.
"Come on, stop embarrassing the poor lady," the pastor said after a moment of whistling and teasing the bride.
Soon after a small crowd gathered around the newly wed couple with gifts.
I don't have time to give gifts and so I find it appropriate to take my leave. I hope to give Bryan a small curt nod from back as farewell but then...
My eyes meet with her's. I am sure the auburn eyeballs of mine will pop out from the sockets but I can't help it. She gives me an innocent smile and whispers to Bryan.
I wait as Bryan acknowledges my presence and waves at me to stop. "Two minutes, sorry," he mouths at me. And so, wait I do.

"Kai! You aren't leaving are you?" Bryan asks holding her small hand tightly.
"I have to be at the court in twenty," I lie blatantly. I don't need to go to the court for three more hours.
"Court? Oh yes, how's the case going anyway?" Bryan asks looking down at Kai for a solid minute.
"It's... fine. Just a few more dates and of there's no more problem everyone related to the Abbey will get justice," I reply with ease. I don't have to lie for this. We were all there together. Tala, Ian, Spencer, me, him... her.
"Isn't Boris already behind the bars?" The lilac giant shoots his next question, and my mouth sours a bit. Boris Balkov.
"He is."
Boris - I'll make sure he never gets out of the hellhole of torture he's in now. I can almost fully blame me losing her on that bastard.
"Well, that's good. By the way-" Bryan turns from me to her -"meet Kai Hiwatari. I believe you've seen each other on many occasions."
I search her bright eyes for any sign of recognition but she just smiles at me.
"___ ___." She extended her hand and I go cold as I make contact with her skin. "Pardon me, I have a kind of weak memory..." I nod putting on the same uninterested façade, shake her hand and leave.

As I make my way back to my lone-wolf den I can visualise Boris and Voltaire laughing at me.
"We succeeded young Kai," Boris would cackle. "We erased everyone's memory of ever meeting her in the abbey but yours. We erased all traces of her from all the boys' lives but from yours.
"She'll live in your memories and torture you every time you remember she could've been yours.
"Your 'mad-love-fest ' ended too soon didn't it? Well well well... didn't we leave you to rot in your little personal shell?"

I clutch the steering wheel of my car as the memories from ten years back flood in.
***
"No one loves me! Why so!! Even you have someone to love you, but me!" A fourteen year old ___ cried and slumped on the floor. Marks of the horrendous training she endured only an hour before were fresh on her flawless skin.

"EVERYONE BUT ME!?" Kai thundered at the girl on the floor. "Why would you even think anyone here is loved? Why me? Who do you think accepts me!?" he continued yelling in anger and astonishment combined.

"Boris never hits you! He rarely hits anyone but me!! All the time," the girl cried.

"You think so you wretched creature!?" Kai asked in rage. He ripped his T and threw his scarf to show a toned chest full of whip marks and bruises. "And that's same for everyone!"

She looked at him with big eyes and them leaped at him.

"Why us, then?" she cried again but this time it was a softer sob. A few tears fell on Kai's back as she hugged him tightly.

"You are not unloved ___," Kai soothed her finally. "I love you, so much..."
And they stood there for long. The didn't kiss, or cry, but stood in a tight hug with a feeling of satisfaction and longing.

Three years later in the Abbey, Kai was tearing down his clothes and he stopped when he saw a jacket with two designer rings attached to its collar. He ripped the rings and held them in his fist tightly and went to find her.
"___ it's not late or early for me... It's time. I want you to answer in yes or no. Will you be mine forever?" Kai asked her after her training - just before lunch.

"Kai? Really?" She smiled and extended her hand.
They didn't tell anyone since Kai had always feared Boris or his grandfather would intervene... But you don't need to tell things for them to be known in the Abbey. Within a week it was a well known fact that Kai proposed her.

Later in the year the BladeBreakers were coming to visit Kai for a few days and so he was at the Hiwatari Mansion with her and the Blitzkrieg Boys.
One morning, a day before the arrival of his team, she and the Blitzkrieg Boys went missing. Finally when they were found...
***

"Damn! Fuck you Boris! You rascal!" I scream in deep agony as I come back to reality. She's gone from my range.
Maybe if I hadn't crawled back in my own shell and faced and reminded her things bravely, perhaps I would've gotten her love back...
"Perhaps later in some life," I mutter and put the car in ignition.
But I don't frown, and look at my ring finger. Amidst all the expensive watches and rings I still have the cheap jacket ring she put there. I am still engaged with her, in love. I look at it longingly for a few minutes and then finally take a last look at the Cathedral. I immerse my thoughts in an upcoming meeting and get carried away, far away from her memories.