EIGHTEEN

Clint's POV...
"Any news on Mel?" Laura asks, her voice is laced with worry.
"I'm afraid not." I answer, staring out of the window at the Avenger's tower.
She sighs. "I don't know what else to tell the kids. Lila keeps on asking where she is, and I hate lying to her."
"I know, honey. We have every agent looking for her twenty-four-seven. Wherever she is, she's hidden. Even from Asgardian technology."
"The kids have been asking about the Agents stationed at our house. I've told them that it is something to do with your work." She pauses. "The farm was supposed to be our safe place, Clint."
"I know, Laura, I know." I pinch the bridge of my nose. "I'm sorry I've put you in this position. The farm is our safe place, but Mel and this Thanos guy know where it is. They are just there for your safety."
Laura remains silent for a minute before whispering.
"Please get her back. I love her so much. And you need to stay safe. I don't know what I would do if I lost the both of you."
"Hey, Laura." I state. "I am not going anywhere. I'm going to get Mellona back, and then I promise I will retire. I'll renovate the barn, like I've always wanted to do."
She laughs lightly. "Yeh, until another alien race attempts to invade us."
A door opens, and I turn around to see Natasha motioning for me.
"Honey, I've got to go. If we find anything, I'll call you straight away."
"Stay safe. I love you."
"I love you too."

I end the call and turn to Nat. Her usual stone-cold face is filled with worry.
"Fury has called for us. Something to do with a person called The Collector." She shrugs. "How's Laura?"
I run a hand through my messy hair and sigh deeply.
"She's staying strong. It's the kids she's worried about. I wish I could be with them."
Natasha places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it reassuringly.
"Clint, I understand how important family is, but Mellona is the one who needs you the most. She is alone. Laura has Cooper and Lila."
I nod. "You're right." I stand up and stride to the door. "The sooner we locate Thanos, the sooner we get to Mel."

"Dada?" A small voice sleepily mumbles. "Dada!"
With a tired smile, I enter Mellona's room and glance down at the five-year-old. She's tucked up in bed, snuggling her velociraptor toy. Her big blue eyes sparkle as I sit down on her bed.
"What's wrong, my little songbird." I whisper.
"I missed you, Dada."
I smile, stroking her hair.
"I missed you too."
"Did you stop any bad guys?" Her eyes go wide.
I chuckle. "Yeh, a few."
She yawns and snuggles further under the covers.
"Dada's tired. Will you be a good girl and go to sleep?"
She nods, and I kiss her cheek.
"Goodnight."

I move to the door, and as I exit, I hear her mutter something bone-chilling.
"Mommy came and saw me today."

Natasha's POV ...
Everyone has assembled in the lounge area of the tower. Tony has fixed himself a drink and is sitting next to Bruce and Loki; all three of them look troubled. Pietro and Wanda don't look up as Clint, and I walk into the room. Clint has been harsh on the twins. Blaming them and Loki for Mel's kidnapping. Thor and Cap sit next to them, keeping a watchful eye on Loki. Clint ambles to the furthest seat from everyone and slumps down. He is bleary-eyed and unshaven. I have only ever seen Clint in this state before, and that was when Mellona's mother died.

"Alright, team, we finally have a lead on Mellona. Early this morning, Thor received news from a man called The Collector. His message was brief but to the point. His 'collection' has been attacked, and something called the Aether was stolen." Fury folds his arms and glances at Thor.
"The Aether is a containment unit for the Reality Stone." Thor booms. "Asgard entrusted it with The Collector."
"Bad move, Point Break." Tony pipes up. "It looks like Mellona has hit there first. So, with the Reality Stone gone, which stone will she go for next?"

Everyone glances around the room, and it is Loki who speaks up, surprising most of us.
"It is impossible to know which stone she will go for next. But, one thing is for sure, we need more people on our team."