Chapter Fourteen

Siobhan didn't dare move and neither did Wren. Both froze in place, staring up at the beasts towering over them. They were ants surrounded by giants. She glanced to the side where her staff rested inches from the sharp talons of a dragon. It would slice her in half before she had any hope of getting her hand on her weapon of choice. The dragon lowered its head, sniffing her staff, golden eyes floating within dark gray scales focused on her. It lifted its foot just enough to have one talon curve over the staff, but not enough for it to break her weapon. A rumble rolled deep in the dragon's throat as it straightened its back and raised its head back to full height.

"Can't you talk to them or something?"

Siobhan frowned, but didn't look at Wren. "What makes you think I could talk to a dragon?"

"Don't you have dragons blood in you?"

Siobhan rolled her eyes. "Yes because I have like one twenty-fifths of dragons blood from generations and generations of Draygon means I can talk to a creature I've never seen before and thought was extinct." Her eyes drifted from one dragon face to the next. They were nearly identical with only the direction of their scales and placement of massive spikes to distinguish them. She stopped at the one with light gray scales resembling the ones on her back.

Its eyes were wide, perfect ovals of pale gold with a diamond of black. Tiny spikes followed the curve of the eyes outer rim. Unlike with Garrith, the King of the Wyverns, this beasts wings didn't connect with its front feet. They rested against its side, tucked safely against its body. Something about this dragon stood out among the rest. The tail slithered against the ground, curving forward. Thin spikes extended outward, twittering as if they were having a muscle spasm.

Siobhan took a deep breath. While she thought Wren's suggestion had moronic reasoning, it was about the only thing that made sense at that moment. A mixture of species became the foundation that would eventually lead to her and all Draygon. In a way, the dragons gave their blood for her to exist. Maybe she could talk to them.

"I am Siobhan, heir to Draygon, Daughter of—"

"We know who you are." The dragons voice was as much a rumble as it was actual words.

"Then you know I mean you no harm. We're blood. I'm just here for the Dragon glass to prove my innocence." She pointed to the center of the room where the dragon glass stood on a dais now mostly concealed by the bodies of the dragons.

"You may pass," the dragon said. It lowered its head to be even with them, lips quivering back to reveal blood stained teeth. "But the boy must die."

Siobhan hissed and drew her daggers, positioning herself between Wren and the beast. Not that it would do any good when dragons surrounded them, but it was her natural instinct. Protect the one she cared about and Wren, the Goddess forsaken moron that he was, was someone she cared about. Her hands tightened around the daggers as she held them in front of her, ready to swipe. Though she suspected her blades wouldn't be nearly strong enough to penetrate the thick scales of a dragons hide.

"You'll have to go through me if you want him."

"Siobhan . . ." Wren's voice was meek. It was one of the few times something magical didn't excite him and she didn't blame him. Legends told of the destruction dragons caused with a simple breath. It was a wonder they weren't able to take down the Wyvern king themselves without needing to create the Draygon.

"You are a foolish girl and do not understand the danger the boy presents."

Siobhan gritted her teeth, her upper fangs digging into her lower lip. "His magic is volatile right now, but he'll learn control. I can teach him to control it! If I can't, then . . ." She couldn't finish her sentence. The idea of having to put an end to Wren all because she was too weak to teach him proper control . . . well that wasn't going to be an option. She'd find a way. She had to.