Regret

Jump City

The tower was finished in a few months, thanks to Cyborg.

And in all that time of construction and keeping the city safe...

Robin never once thought about his old team. There was never enough time to calm down and just think.

But now as Robin sat in his new bedroom at 4:00am... there was more than enough time to think.

He walked over to his window that was overlooking the entire city. He peeled off his mask and rubbed his face.

Plenty of time to think... and plenty of time to regret.

Robin threw his mask over to his bed and sat down in his desk chair, facing his Hi-Tech computer (courtesy of the mayor of Jump City, apparently these people really wanted protectors)

He ran a hand angrily through his hair and switched his computer on.

"Hello, Robin."

Dick slightly winced. As cool as the robotic greeting from his computer was... it sure reminded him of the Zeta tubes.

I wonder if they kept my sig-- no Robin snap out of it! You can't miss them...

His thoughts completely contradicted his current actions.

He grabbed a small flashdrive from one of the desk's drawers and plugged it in.

Using a flashdrive and using it to hack cameras multiple cities away?

Easy.

Not even two minutes later he was looking inside Mount Justice.

At this point he just couldn't believe himself. Why should he worry about what's going on?

Why should he even care?

But he couldn't stop himself from switching from camera to camera.

Finally he found himself looking into Wally's souvenir room.

Robin never really put much thought into that junk but now that he could only see it from a camera... those physical memories...

The pain he felt when he was still with the YJ could never compare to the pain he felt now.

Despite his new team and the city... he felt lonely. And he knew that he only had to blame himself.

Sure the team and Batman helped push him to his breaking point.

But they didn't make him leave. They didn't make him claim a city.

And they didn't make him form a new team.

It was all on him.

He obviously wasn't thinking straight. Yeah it was a rough patch, really rough, but it... might have turned out okay.

Dick slammed his head on the desk.

He messed up, he knew he did.

He left his very first real friends and he left the League-- the people he considers his family.

He left Ace. He left Alfred and Babs...

He left Bruce.

But this isn't something he could just fix. He couldn't just run on home. For two reasons actually.

1. That would be totally embarrassing.

2. If it's anything Robin has learned from Kaldur... a leader doesn't abandon his team.

Well he was the leader of a team now. He has more responsibility now than when he was Batman's 'partner'.

But that doesn't mean Dick never intended on going back.

The only reason he left was to prove to Batman and the YJ team that he didn't need them to be a hero.

Well he already proved that... in the first twenty-four hours.

But maybe this would turn out better.

They would probably meet more people and recruit them.

Hmm. Maybe Dick would even take them to check out the League one day.

Dick snorted and smiled sadly.

No way THAT'S going to EVER happen.

"Hey... Rob?"

Dick's head shot up to the screen. He was still on the souvenir room. Only one thing was different.

Wally was staring up at the camera.

"So... I don't know if you can even look at us anymore. Um... sorry I've been saying this every night for months now."

Dick's eyes widened. He's been talking to a camera every night?

"I've just been hoping... that you would maybe listen in at least once. Uh... you're really making me eat my words ya know? We've been watching you and your new team on the news. You're... an amazing leader. I think you're even making Kaldur jealous... heh."

Wally paused to let out a sad chuckle.

"And I know the old Bat is proud of you... everytime he's in the Mountain and you're on TV... he just stops and watches until something else comes on."

Or he's just judging my form...

"Hey uh... I was wondering... even though you've got a team to lead now, could you come back sometime just for a visit..."

Dick shook his head a little even though he knew Wally couldn't see him.

I can't do that Wally. I'm really trying to move on now...

"I just... basically I'm just trying to say I miss you Rob... Dick. Things aren't really the same without you here. Just... just know you'll always be my best bud ok?"

Dick pulled the flashdrive out harshly and threw it into the trash can.

He angrily brushed away a single tear then reset his stoney face.

"I'm sorry... I'm not the same Robin you knew anymore..."

Nothing but his own echo answered him.

And that was all on him.