Chapter 73

I lay on my back as I read a book on the couch. The doorbell chimed, and I didn't even need Starsong to tell me who it was.

"Come in," I called.

I remained lying on the couch as a somewhat wound-up Cynthia swiftly entered the room. Logan passed through the doorway more slowly, never having been in my sitting room before. Cynthia was quite familiar with it and had no reservations about charging right in.

Cynthia waved a book in the air. "Rachel, I really need your help!"

I glanced over at her without putting my own book down. "With what?"

"Someone left this book outside my door, and I really, really need to know who left it there."

I still didn't sit up. "Oh? It isn't like you to forget who lent you a book. Not many people still read the paper ones."

"Uhh... Yeah, it wasn't Tammy or Stephanie, but I really need to find out who left it for me."

I continued drawing it out as I lowered my book slightly to gaze at her. "Okay... You seem kind of flustered. Let me guess, it ended with a cliff-hanger and you really want the sequel?"

She nodded enthusiastically with her new excuse. "Yes!"

"Ah, I see." I lifted my book back up while pointing with my thumb to the other side of the room. "The sequel is on the end table in the corner."

Her jaw dropped. "You did that! You are the one who put this book there!"

I never looked away from my book as I replied, "Of course. Did you think any differently?"

It was a struggle to keep from snickering. Cynthia had found the book and assumed that Logan had given it to her, and with the tag attached declaring it was from someone close to her heart, she hadn't thought any differently. She had given him a big hug and a thank you the next time she saw him, which lead to some confusion. She had explained how she found it, then both of them took a closer look at the note, which only resulted in yet more confusion.

Logan had followed her as he tried to find out if he had some unknown competition. Cynthia was clearly unaware of any other possible admirer, and since they spent most of their free time together, Logan knew it wasn't just an act on her part.

Cynthia was still silent, and I turned my head to look at her. She was staring at me, unable to speak and partially refusing to believe that all of her panic had been for nothing. My response had also left her floundering.

I innocently inquired, "Is something wrong?"

She stammered, "You- Why! But- Ugh!"

I put a bookmark in my book and closed it before sitting up. I gave Cynthia an odd look before asking Logan, "What has gotten into her? You would have thought that I spoiled the sequel's ending or something."

Logan had his wits about him, unlike Cynthia, and he walked over to pick up the sequel. In an attempt to help Cynthia maintain her excuse, Logan replied, "The book got her really excited. I think she just needs a moment to get over her shock."

I pretended to look mystified. "Alright..." I was fighting hard to keep from grinning – and I was starting to lose that battle.

Logan passed the book to Cynthia before taking her shoulders and steering her out of the door. Her dumbfounded expression was still on her face, making it harder to keep my composure. Just as the door started to slide closed, I lost my battle and burst out in laughter. Cynthia whirled around as she instantly realized that I had set the whole thing up and then had pretended to be naive.