Chapter 38: A Shckng Press Conference

I'm not going to bore you about the details of my school life because school is usually boring and trust me, today was. All the juicy drama was happening outside the off-white wall of Belhurst high so I'd rather skip the otherwise standard school day and get to the good stuff.

Wait, Murphy was walking around like a zombie, Penn just kept giving me this suspicious look, and Mary kept asking about my mom. I'm pretty sure she knows something is going on with our parents and Penn is well aware Murphy and I are hiding something from him, not like we don't make it obvious. Now you're caught up.

Back at Murphy's home, the tailor had set up in one of the many guest rooms. Several attendees for the event had taken rooms in the guest wing, which was situated in the middle of the house so guests would be able to access the event space directly while avoiding the homeowners' spaces. The room we were using was one of the spares, an extra room kept open to accommodate any guests needing last minute lodgings. Most of the out of town guests were staying in one of Belhurst's high-end hotels but the lucky few were offered a much coveted room in the house.

Bruce Wayne turned Mr. Thompson's offer down, he said he'd just helicopter over the night of the party.

"Ouch!" I squeaked, casting my eyes down at the poor tailor at my feet.

Murphy still seemed a little freaked out about what happened so he sat in silence but I imagine he'd be covering his face and growing at my stupidity. Instead of being his usually snarky self, he simply stared out the window.

"For the last time, I haven't even started yet." I apologized, again. I feel like in movies people are always pricked by a needle so I keep tensing up as soon as the guy gets anywhere near me.

It's not even like a huge problem, the dress needs to be hemmed the slightest bit and it needs to be taken in a little bit but we ordered the dress a little big so it could be taken in. Honestly, I'm a little concerned it fits as well as it does.

I closed my eyes, "Do it now."

Taking a deep breath, I waited until he told me he was done to open my eyes. I figured if I couldn't see him working, then i'd stay still and he wouldn't end up poking me, thus confirming my fear of being pricked by a needle. It took me a few moments to gain the courage to actually open my eyes but I was pleasantly when I did.

I turned to Murphy, "Thoughts?"

"You look," He began half-heartedly until he got a good look at me. His eyes bugged out before breaking down in a grin, "You look amazing, green certainly is a good color on me."

"I know." I twirled around in the long green dress, "I was still pissed you made me get the green dress but I am feeling myself. I look hot."

Murphy, still grinning, joined me by the full length mirror, "Not as hot as me, and I'm not even dressed up."

He's such a jackass sometimes, "Would you just shut up and let me have my moment."

"You do look really nice though, I though nothing could top you in that gold dress but I was wrong." He pecked me quickly on the cheek, lingering so he could whisper in my ear, "I'm happy I was wrong."

But sometimes he's sweet.

Like sour patch kids. Sour. Sweet...

"And I'm gone." The tailor packed up his things, "I don't care what the two of you do, except you need to get out of that dress. Don't mess up those pins now, you near me." I slunk off to the partition and changed. "Leave the dress on the bed, I'll have someone pick it up later because I'm late. I need to rush to Mrs. Thompson's room like right now. She's probably waiting for me," He sighed, "This took far longer than it should have."