[18]

Something was happening. (Y/N) could tell by the tension that laid between Ayato and Touka.

Ayato was getting more and more cold and monotonous than usual. Every time (Y/N) would see him alone he'd have this conflicted look on his face as if he was having an inner battle with himself. He always looked deep in thought.

One night she woke up from a nightmare and heard hushed voice from the corridor. She walked slowly towards her door groggily. Her mind was bit hazy so she couldn't make out the words but as soon as she was by the door with her head pressed to it she heard a growl, then more muffled words.

She knew that growl and that voice, even if it were muffled to the point of disorientation. That was Ayato.

She pressed her ears harder onto the door until finally she could hear the voices clearly to make out words.

". . . dammit Ayato-kun. Stop and think for a second." That was Touka, she sounded stressed as she hissed the words out.

"I've done enough of that!" Ayato yelled.

There was silence and (Y/N) thought they found her out. It was wrong eavesdropping on a conversation that had nothing to do with her, but she was curious. Then she heard Touka and she had to strain herself to hear the words clearly.

"What about her? Are you really prepared to leave her? Think this through Ayato-kun, this'll tear her apart. You can't possibly be serious about this."

(Y/N) blinked. They were talking about her. But then what was Ayato trying to do? She mentally sighed; if only she woke up earlier she'd hear what they were saying from the start.

There was no response and she strained to hear more.

"Ayato, can't you see she-"

"What, loves me?" he scoffed. "Don't be stupid Touka. She could never love a monster like me." his voice was cold and (Y/N) couldn't believe he actually believed that.

Did he really feel that way? That idiot. Did he really think that she didn't love him just because he was a ghoul? It took everything in her not to open the door and slap in the face for even thinking such a thing.

"If that's really what you believe then you don't even know her. If that's what you think then you shouldn't even call her your friend. That girl in there loves you Ayato, not because of your looks, certainly not because you're a ghoul but because of you. She loves you for you and you're too stupid to realize it."

There was no response.

"Ayato stay a bit longer, okay? Stay, if not for me or anyone else, stay for her."

There was silence. Then she heard footsteps towards her way and she quickly jumped in bed and pulled over her covers and pretended to sleep.

No one came in. After a while, she finally managed to control her breathing. She rolled over and stared into the dark ceiling.

He was leaving, she figured. She really hoped Touka had persuaded him enough to stay. Renji had left a few months ago and she didn't know how she'd handle it if Ayato left.

She was already getting through to him . . . Or at least she hoped she was. He was more open and smiled more than once a few times and it was breath takingly handsome. She wasn't sure she even wanted to imagine what her life would be like without Ayato around.

If he was going to stay a while, she decided, she'd make him so happy and content that he would never want to leave ever again.

She smiled at that plan and closed her eyes, begging morning to come quick so she could carry on her plan.