Chapter Seven

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Seven

Every time I find myself enjoying silence, it becomes ruined

I was sitting on the sofa comfortably when someone knocks obviously at the apartment door. My eyes peel away from my laptop where I had been typing another English essay.

William, who also was lounging around quietly, stands from his seat and heads towards the door.

"Hey man." My best friend greet whoever his there. The door is opened wide to reveal Hunter Kings wearing a casual white hoodie and black jeans. His chestnut hair is messy as usual.

I watch curiously as the two walk further into the apartment like this visit was expected. I hand my been told of William having any plans. Of course, I would've disagreed.

"Since when were you coming over?" I ask Hunter, my words biting. The two stride over where I am.

The only reaction I receive is a should of the shoulders. "Since a few seconds ago."  William tosses a packet of crisps on the table, alongside with raspberry liquorice and a plastic container of cookies.

The sight of all the food creates conflict within me. My stomach was begging for the sweets, yet my mind screamed for safety. It told me that that wasn't good for me, that I'd loose myself if I yielded to the appeal.

"We're watching the game that's on in literally two minutes." I'm told my William who belly flops on the spare couch.

The only free spot is beside me. I'm filled with dread as Hunter smirk's and glances to the seat. I would rather gorge my own eyeballs from my head.

My fingers slam my laptop shut and tuck it beneath my arm. "I'll take that as my signal to leave." It was more than a signal. More like a big red flag that waves me down.

"No, it's okay." William interrupts my attempt to flee. I face him. "Watch it with us."

Normally, I would. With just him, or if Jake was over. Which happens to be rarely ever these days. I feel like he'd become a stranger the day I was first admitted to hospital.

William smells the tension between Hunter and I. It's so obvious that there might as well be a sign hanging above. The air becomes thick and heavy.

"It's okay. I have to do my essay." I shake my laptop for emphasis. I despise school work, but right now, it seems like an angel carrying me away from being in Hunter's presence.