Prologue

In what world will she be safe without us, brother? Who can protect her better than we?”
“There is one person.”

-

“Hello sister.”

He receives nothing but a smile for a reply, but nothing else is needed. His sister reaches out to stroke his daughter's forehead gently.

“She looks like her mother” she smiles.
He turns to watch the baby girl in his arms. The baby girl who is the reason for him to live, the baby girl who is the only hope for him on this Earth.

“Maybe there is a God after all” his sister says, still with a smile over her plumb lips.
He smiles, genuinely amused by his sister's way of teasing him and overwhelmed with the joy of being a parent.
“She has a hint of the Devil in her eyes” he objects though, still with his eyes on his baby girl. His tone is proud as he continues;
“That's all me.”

They smile at the light air between them before the serious mood sinks down over them.
“I need a witch you can trust to cast a cloaking spell.”
“I'll get one.”
“No one can ever find her.”
“I know what to do, Nik”

They both turn to watch the young human being in his arms. The love and protection they felt for her went beyond anything else.

“Perhaps we'll get a white fence. I think that would be lovely” the sister says, smiling as she fought the tears the moment wanted to bring.

“This city would have seen you dead, but I will have it your home. And every soul who wishes you harm will be struck down, just as sure as my blood runs in your veins. You will return to me” he promises his daughter, whispering to her. No one else had to hear.
He gives her cheek and forehead a gentle kiss before he hands her over to his sister, knowing she'll have the life he'd want for her there. His home wasn't safe for her, but he would have her with him again.

He then hands his sister a wooden knight far too familiar for her. He had carved that for his sister a thousand years ago, before they knew of what betrayal and hurt would be in their always and forever.

“In spite of our differences, Rebekah, there is no one I would trust more with my daughter's life.” He hugs her and gives her a kiss on her cheek. “Be happy, sister.”
“She will be happy, Nik. I promise.”
They share a smile before Rebekah speaks again.
“What's her name?”

“Hope. Her name is Hope.”