Chapter 26

Annabelle's pov:

I really thought I could outrun him.

Once I reached Detroit I was certain that from there on out I could blend in with the crowd and eventually he would give up on me.

How could I have been so stupid?

It had been about three weeks when they finally caught up to me.

Those three weeks were easily the most painful weeks of my life. I could only do so much with a broken arm and on top of that was the task of distracting myself from the heartbreak that was slowly consuming me.

Most days I debated going back the way I came and running into Tino's arms, but I knew if I went back I would be putting him in danger.

All these thoughts were running through my head as I wandered the streets of Detroit. As the days went by I slowly began to let my guard down and allowed myself to be seen by the cameras that lined the streets, but I still constantly looked over my shoulder.

I passed by a particularly dark alley but hardly even noticed as I looked over my shoulder once again.

I soon realized I had been looking in the wrong direction when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and drag me into the alley.

I tried my best to scream, but before I could register what had just happened a cloth was being shoved into my mouth, making me gag from the stench coming from it.

The last thing I saw before I blacked out was the face of my father smiling down at me as two men walked up behind him.

"Should we wake her up?" A voice asked as I slowly regained consciousness.

"Well the boss told us to prepare her so I suppose so," another voice responded.

Before I could open my eyes a bucket of ice water was poured over my head, making me immediately straighten up and start coughing.

"What the fu-" I started but lost track of my words when I caught sight of the two men standing before me.

Simply put, they were both massive. Their biceps were the size of my head and reminded me of Sage's friends from the fight club, they had the same buzzcut and brown hair making me assume they were twins and one had an empty bucket sitting next to their leg.

I tried to get up from my chair but quickly realized my wrists were tightly bound to the chair I was sitting in.

"Careful doll, the boss wouldn't want you hurting yourself," one of the men warned.

"And who exactly is your boss?" I asked feeling a sudden surge of confidence.

"Oh I think you know him very well," one of them smirked as the other walked behind my chair so he could push me out of the room.

As they rolled me thought the different hallways to God knows where, I made sure to remember where the different hallways went and memorize the floor I was currently being held on.

Eventually we reached our destination and one of the men opened a door to reveal a man sitting behind a desk.

I immediately felt the need to throw up when the man looked up to reveal the face of my father.

"Well well, if it isn't my delinquent daughter," he smirked as his eyes met mine.

"What do you want from me?" I spat.

"Well isn't it obvious? I want you to come home Annabelle," he said.

"We both know that place was never a home for me."

"Well that may be so, but I'll be damned if you build yourself a happy life."

"Why can't you just let me go? I would be out of your life for good," I pleaded.

"BECAUSE YOU TOOK MY HAPPINESS AWAY FROM ME," he roared making me snap my mouth shut.

"Your mother was all I ever had, she was the only thing that made me happy," he explained. "And you took that away from me."

"I loved her just as much as you did," I began to sob. "You may have lost a wife but I lost a mother."

"She was the only thing I ever loved," he continued like he didn't hear my words. "And you'll pay for taking her away from me."

I immediately lunged at him as best as I could with my arms and legs tied to my chair.

I managed to fall into the desk before I was pulled away by the two goons who then quickly took me back to my room.

Once they left I looked down at my hand at the letter opener I managed to grab from the desk, I already had a plan for my escape brewing in my mind.