•6•

A week passed and I made no attempt to contact Lauren. I walked into class every day and didn't even bother to look at her, though I could feel her eyes on the back of my head through the entire period. On the days that we didn't have a choice but to partner up, she insisted that I tell her why I was so angry with her, but I never answered. I just put in my headphones and stared down at my notebook. I didn't know how to explain that I wasn't angry with her; I was angry with myself for letting things get so far. She eventually gave up on the idea that I would respond, and by the time Friday rolled around, she hadn't spoken to me in nearly forty-eight hours. There was no tension, no unresolved conflict between us, just an abundance of confusion and a whole hell of a lot of hormones.

Friday after school I planned to go to a party with the boys to get my mind off of things. They didn't know that anything had even happened between Lauren and me, and I wanted to keep it that way for as long as possible. I showed up to Andrew's an hour before we were set to leave so that we could ride together, running to his apartment as quickly as my feet would allow to avoid any possible contact with Lauren. He opened the door and I pushed my way inside, immediately finding my way to the couch and collapsing in an exhausted heap.

"You okay?" he laughed.

"Yeah," I panted. "I'm good."

I wished he would join me, but he seemed to have more important things on his mind. He walked into the kitchen and pulled a jar off the top of the fridge, pulling off the lid and retrieving the contents. I watched him curiously as he pulled out several buds and some paper, sitting them on the counter top and getting to work.

"Are you taking those to the party?" I asked.

He nodded. "Unless you want one now."

"No thanks," I sighed.

He shrugged and went back to work, his attention on his hands and not on me where I wanted it. I wanted to talk about my frustration with Lauren despite my initial decision to keep it under the rug- or my frustration with myself, more than likely- but he didn't seem interested. I knew him well enough to know that the last thing he wanted before going to a party was to hear my "girl drama." I had a feeling if I didn't get everything off my chest, I would most likely have a mental breakdown.

"I fucked Lauren," I blurted out.

His attention snapped to me momentarily, but he soon returned to his work, laughing quietly to himself and shaking his head in disbelief.

"That doesn't count," he argued. "You didn't actually fuck her at the party and you got interrupted."

"We did it again...two days later."

He placed his hands on his hips and narrowed his eyes at me. I could tell he didn't believe me, or maybe he just didn't want to, but I didn't really blame him. He knew me for my ability to lure girls back to my bedroom, but not once had I ever scored with the same girl twice. Frankly, I couldn't even believe Lauren had come back for more.

"Are you bullshitting me?" he asked.

"No, Andrew, I'm not bullshitting you," I snapped. "Do you actually think I would joke about that? It is Lauren we're talking about here. Have you seen her?"

He sighed and reached into his back pocket, pulling out his wallet and examining the contents. He pulled out a twenty dollar bill and walked over to the couch, shoving it in my direction.

"I don't want it," I told him.

"You won the bet."

"I know I did, and I don't care. I don't want-"