•14•

Warning: Sexual Content

I sat by my front door, anxiously gnawing away at my fingernails and awaiting Lauren's arrival. My parents were throwing their annual Fourth of July party which was already in full swing. The house was overly crowded with half-drunk adults and their rambunctious children, running around the yard and jumping into the pool. Lauren and her family had been invited, but they were nowhere to be seen and I began to wonder if they were going to show up at all. There was still about another hour until sunset, but I just hoped that they would arrive before the celebration began. After nearly forty-five minutes of pacing back and forth, peering out of the window, and tapping my foot impatiently, I finally heard a knock on the door and sprung off the stairs to open it. Lauren's mom greeted me with a smile and I pulled her into a warm embrace. She shoved a pie in my direction and I took it from her hands, sitting it on the banister as her dad made his way inside.

"Where's Lauren?" I asked them.

"Oh, probably fixing herself up in the car," her mom chuckled. "We somehow talked her into wearing a dress and she's insisting that she overdid it."

"I'm sure she looks beautiful," I smiled, picking up the pie and following them to the backyard.

I sat the pastry on the table with all the other food and picked up a solo cup, scooping up some ice and pouring myself a drink. I glanced around the yard to make sure everything was in order and headed back inside, pulling my phone out of my back pocket and scrolling through as I walked. I bumped smack into someone- obviously not paying attention- but before I could look and see who it was, I felt a pair of soft lips against my own. Lauren pulled back and smiled, her emerald eyes lighting up the second they met mine.

"Watch where you're going, asshole," she scowled playfully.

I shoved her shoulder and she pretended to stumble backwards but I caught her, holding her out at arm's length to observe the red dress that clung to her body. It was simple- just plain red with a pleated skirt- but she definitely pulled it off. Her simple elegance was incredibly admiring.

"You look gorgeous..." I nearly whispered.

"I could say the same to you," she smirked, pushing past me and joining her family outside.

I glanced down at the plain denim shorts and blue flowing tank top that I wore, feeling entirely too underdressed compared to Lauren but grateful that she didn't see it that way. I followed her outside and found her picking at the hors d'oeuvre on the table. I walked up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her backwards away from the table despite her protests.

"Hey, what are you doing?" she whined. "I'm hungry."

"Save your appetite for later when I can get you alone," I smirked.

"You put up a compelling argument, but I think I'd rather eat real food."

"Suit yourself," I shrugged.

I allowed her to break out of my grasp and head back to the table. She piled all sorts of snacks onto her paper plate and I picked up a cupcake, peeling off the paper and taking a bite. She took a seat on the steps leading down to the pool and I sat next to her, draping my arm over her shoulder and pulling her into me. She planted a quick kiss on my cheek and snatched my cupcake from my hand, taking a bite and laughing to herself about her feat.

"Hey, what do you think you're doing?" I snapped playfully, nudging her arm with my elbow and reaching for the cupcake.

She pulled it out of my reach before I could grab it and scooped up some of the icing onto her finger, smudging it on my cheek and finishing the rest of it off.