Family

A week had passed since her terrible argument with Aleron, and Mabel wasn't afraid to admit that she missed her protector. But she would never crawl back to someone who didn't want her around, and Aleron had made his opinion very clear.

It was for that reason that she resisted the urge to call out for Aleron when Herman called her back to his office after she'd flipped the store's sign to 'Closed'.

Sucking in a steadying breath, Mabel stepped inside the older man's office, leaving the door open in case she needed to make a quick escape. "What's up, Herman?" She asked, wincing internally when her voice came out weak and shaky.

The form on the other side of the room shifted, and Herman turned to face her. But he didn't look like Herman, not really.

His eyes were no longer blue, replaced by a swirling of black and crimson that made Mabel think of a darker version of Aleron. Herman's normally kind face was twisted into a cruel smirk; Mabel squeaked when he spoke, and his voice sounded like a thousand souls speaking together.

"Hello, Mabel. It is a pleasure to meet you."

Mabel backed up, only to hit the now-closed door behind her. "Oh, crap," she whimpered when the doorknob jiggled against her fingers but wouldn't budge.

She was trapped.

"I apologize for scaring you," the thing lamented, sounding decidedly unapologetic, "but I needed to speak with you, and Aleron was not forthcoming with information."

"Wh-what does this have to do with—!" her voice died in her throat when the being flashed forward suddenly, appearing in front of her with its hand over her mouth.

"Oh no," It murmured, bending down until its lips brushed against her ear, causing her to shudder. "I am not so ignorant as to forget what happens when you say his name. I shall deal with that right away." It moved its other hand to the base of her throat, muttering in another language under its breath.

The only sound Mabel could hear was the rapid beating of her heart for several long moments.

"I apologize in advance for this, but it is necessary." The creature's words were followed by burning.

Mabel opened her mouth in a silent scream, scratching at her throat as liquid fire slid down it. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she crumpled to the floor, the pain subsiding but leaving her trembling.

With the creature's hand gone from her face, she opened her mouth to call for Aleron, but no sound came from her throat.

The monster had done something to her voice.

Mabel stared up at him with panic in her eyes, realizing with startling clarity that this very well could be it for her. Aleron had no idea she was in trouble (and wouldn't, since they'd parted ways on such terrible terms), and Mabel wasn't stupid enough to think that this creature would leave her alive.

With a chuckle that could be described as nothing other than pure evil, the thing snatched her up and they were swallowed by darkness.

***

The first thing Mabel became aware of was how nauseous she was. She leaned to the side and emptied the contents of her stomach, freezing when she heard a voice over her shoulder.

"I forgot how weak humans are. Ah, well, not too long now. Come on," Herman's hands lifted her up, spinning her around to face him—it—and Mabel blanched.

How the heck was she supposed to get out of this mess?

It snatched her elbow with one hand, using the other to gesture at their surroundings as if showing her a kingdom.