•17•

Warning: Sexual Content

If there was anything I could have done to slow down the summer, I would have done it in a heart beat. The final month of summer was upon us before anyone even had a chance to blink, and that either meant thirty days of sadness and worry, or thirty days of the best memories I could possibly make. I wanted to make the most of it. Regardless of my decision, Lauren would be leaving at the beginning of September and I'd have to deal with not seeing her every day. I'd come to accept that. There was nothing I could do, so I figured I might as well make the most of the time I had with her. The day we returned home from our trip, I was determined to make it as easy as possible to get to Lauren no matter the circumstances, so I made it a point to wake up extra early on Monday morning and get to work on my car. I figured transportation to and from the University of Miami would be easier if I had an actual vehicle as well. I was buried inside the hood of the car, trying to locate the problem when I heard a pair of breaks squeaking at the top of my driveway. I stood up to look over the hood of the car and saw Lauren making her way down my driveway, her attention on her phone until she reached my car.

"Hey there, hot stuff," she greeted, slapping my backside playfully as she passed.

"Lauren!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, sorry," she smirked. "Did I startle you?"

She walked to the refrigerator in my garage and pulled out a beer, popping the top and taking a swig as she grabbed a lawn chair from the corner and took a seat in the sun directly behind me.

"What are you doing with your car?" she asked.

"Fixing it."

"Why? Was there nothing else to do?"

"Please," I scoffed. "Like there's anything fun to do in this town."

"We could go inside and make our own fun," she suggested.

I turned around and lifted up my plain white tank just barely above my bra, using it to wipe the sweat off my face and raising my eyebrow at her.

"Do you just, like, wake up horny or..." I wondered, trailing off and turning back around to continue working on my car.

"Only when I dream about you," she answered.

"Oh my God," I laughed. "You sound like me. I think I'm rubbing off on you."

"Not yet."

I dropped the wrench that was in my hand on my dad's tool box and placed my hand on my hip, shifting my weight to one foot and squinting my eyes to shield them from the sunlight as I turned to face her again.

"Why don't you make yourself useful and go get me the hose so I can was my hands off?" I instructed.

"Why wash them when you're just going to get them dirty again?"

"Lauren..." I warned.

"Okay, okay," she chuckled, throwing her hands up in front of her and feigning defense.

I shook my head and laughed to myself as I disappeared under the hood one last time, putting the finishing touches on the hardware and making sure everything was good to go before I attempted to start the car. I tried to focus, but all I could think about was Lauren and her dirty mouth. Two months earlier, she never would have spoken like that, but now it was evident that all our time together was beginning to rub off on her. I didn't know whether to slap myself for the things I said or run to catch up with her so I could rip her clothes off.

"You know, you really shouldn't wear a black bra with a white shirt," she sighed, evidently having returned with the hose.

"Why?" I asked flatly.