Chapter 5

The sun had long since gone down, the time on the digital clock next to his bed told Dean it was a quarter after two. For the past few hours, he'd been sitting on the edge of his mattress wallowing in self-loathing followed by self-doubt and then a nervewracking mixture of both. Soar from being hunched over so long, he finally decided to lay down. It felt good to stretch out his back like that, his eyes closing the second that his head hit the mattress.

Dean was exhausted, but pictures of a horny angel kept plaguing his mind. He furiously rubbed at his eyelids, trying to get Castiel out of his head. It didn't work out too well for him.

Wiping his hand down the rest of his face, Dean sat back up with his eyes still closed and his elbows resting on his knees. He took a deep breath.

"Alright Cas. If you can hear me through whatever weird angel shit you've got going on, I'm sorry," he said. After a moment, he opened his eyes to look around the room. Nobody had appeared like he'd hoped. "Come on, man, you're welcome to come back here. You're probably just standing in some street staring at passing cars."

Nothing.

He sighed and closed his eyes again, deciding on a different approach. "Alright, fine. You want the old fashioned way?" He got more comfortable in his bed, kicking his feet back up and resting against the back of his headboard. "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray to Castiel to get his feathery ass back down here."

The room was still empty.

Giving up, Dean pulled the covers over his legs and settled into bed. His eyelids weren't heavy, but his body felt exhausted. After Castiel had left, he ended up taking a cold shower, not wanting to finish himself off while thinking about a guy.

No, a voice in the back of his head reproached. Angel. Castiel is an angel. A wavelength.

Forcing himself to close his eyes, he tried to get some sleep, to ignore his damn brain announcing how big of an asshole he was. But when he finally got rid of that voice, a loud ringing startled him. He jumped, his eyes wide open, immediately moving to stare at his cellphone.

Furrowing his eyebrows, he reached for the device and stared at the screen. Bobby.

"Hello?"

"It took a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would, but I finally found somethin'."

Confused, Dean frowned. "What?"

"Your angel problem, idjit."

"Oh... Uh, yeah, what is it?"

"Apparently that Castiel, he's your Guardian Angel."

"My what?"

"It's a bunch of bull crap if you ask me, but it's the only thing I can find in these damn books," Bobby said. "Everyone's got their own fairy godmother."

"You're kidding me."

"I wish I were. Listen to this; some of them go rogue and ruin poor Cinderelly's life."

"What? Why?"

"You think I'd know that?" scoffed Bobby. From the other end, Dean could hear shuffling, and then Bobby said, "Sometimes these 'angels' go as far as to kill 'em."

"Is there a way to get rid of those dicks?"

"Well, you could smite them before they turn on ya."

"How are you supposed to destroy a Terminator with wings?"

"An Angel Blade."

Dean raised his eyebrows. "An Angel Blade," he repeated.