Coffee and Anima Attacks

Friday, November 19, 1944

8:30 p.m

When Hermione and Draco finished dancing, half of the people there started whispering rather loudly.

"Sweet Merlin, did you see Draco du Lac dance like that? Nefertari is one lucky girl if she's his date!" —gasps in agreement—

"—for being the Head Girl, she sure cleans up just fine. Did you see that last twist-dip? I almost passed out; I didn't think something like that was humanly possible—"

Hermione groaned and rammed her way though the crowds, for the first and probably only time in her life wishing that Crabbe and Goyle Juniors were in the vicinity so she could recruit them as bouncers. As she passed an abandoned table, she snatched up a paper plate and began to rapidly fan herself, but after five seconds of little or no difference in the growing heat, Hermione dumped it back on the next table and continued on her way along the edge of the dance floor.

"_Draco's just her friend" Hermione turned her head around and saw Columbia standing in front of Celena Coffee.

"But did you see the way they danced? He asked me out here while I was getting my food. He looked happy! Maybe it was a joke" Hermione tensed and felt her eyes widen. Draco said she wouldn't mind. Oh no.

"I'm sure that Ravenclaw practicly forced him, Cece" A lot of Slytherin girls were now huddled around Coffee. They all nodded in agreement. The girl sighed and sapped her eyes with a hankir cheif.

"I'm suppose your right, thank you everyone_" Hermione felt her heart turn in guilt. The girl seemed nice enough and she didn't want her to suffer. Hermione walked over to her.

"Celena I am so so sorry, I didn't think that_" Columbia looked up and glared.

"How dare you dance with her date. Can't you see it made her upset" she said angrily. The increasing girls huddling around Celena glared as well. Celena looked sadly at Hermione.

"I'm sure she didn't mean it. It was an accident" Hermione had to admit, she was impressed with the forgiveness that the blond Slytherin displayed. She smiled.

"I really am sorry" she laughed.

"Forgiven. Come on. Let's leave Nefertari alone" Celene said and turned on her jeweled heel. The girls followed her. Hermione groaned. This night was do complicated.

The right spaghetti strap of her little black taffeta had long since slipped off her shoulder, and she impatiently pulled it back up while gracelessly jumping up and down in the small black stilettos, silently cursing her short parents who had not bestowed her with Hagrid's height. Continuing to hop, trying to catch sight of the top of either Draco's, Ron's, or Harry's head in the shadowy lighting of the dance hall, Hermione quickly discovered that many Dracos, Rons, and Harrys were rotating their way through the crowd.

"Bugger," she muttered, securely landing back down the ground. Reluctantly abandoning the attempt to fly and beginning to seriously consider Accio-ing one of the boys over, she backed up for a different approach — and ploughed right into someone from behind. AHHHH! Where did all these people come from?

"Sorry!" Hermione exclaimed automatically, turning apologetically. "Good Merlin, it's insanely jammed up in he— Riddle?"

All thoughts of finding Draco, Ron, or Harry flew out of her head, and she could only gape incoherently at Tom Riddle, still wearing his uniform white oxford shirt and dark slacks as he always did, standing in one of the less populated corners of the Room of Requirements Dance Hall.