64 | ACT IV, SCENE III

P R E V I O U S L Y

"I'm sorry," a tear spilled down her cheek as I buried her head in my neck, the salty moisture soaking my shirt, knowing that I would never, ever let her go.

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT.

EDWINA

I WOKE UP AT MIDDAY, to the soft sunlight filtering in through the heavy curtains.

Beside me, the bed was empty, yet the rumpled sheets and the dent in the pillow showed me that it had been slept in.

It had been real.

Yesterday had been real.

A mournful sigh escaped my lips as I thought again about the dead babies. How could one be so cruel as to kill such innocents? That too my sister's children? She was a sweet, sweet girl - what problem would a person ever have with her?

The misery slept in me like a living monster as I soaked in a bath of steaming hot water, considering the consequences of stepping out of the room. On probation, and as an accused murderer and a woman who was cheating on her husband...

...a Queen. Was I even one now? How could Amphitrite even have considered I had done this? After all that trust, all that love I gave, she returned it with this.

Stripped of my privileges, bound to the castle, watched every minute until the day they would bring me to Trial and break me with cross questioning.

A prisoner made to wait until Judgement Day.

I tried to work it out, I really did - tried to work out why the universe would do this to me. Perhaps I was the result of just some huge, cosmic joke.

I could even hear the stars silently mocking me.

I sighed deeply, straining my ears to hear. Everything was dead silent. No sounds drifted from downstairs, barring the tinkle of crockery and a bout of hushed conversation. None of the early hustle or bustle of the morning. I knew the Valmonts - with the exception of the terrible Apollo - had taken the deaths deeply to heart, seeing that Amphitrite was Tristan and Llewellyn's first cousin too, just like me.

My reflection stared back at me, a pale face looked back. The eyes had turned a darker and deeper teal, the cheeks had lost all their colour. I did not have the heart to dress myself in the richly embroidered golden gown awaiting me on the dresser, instead reaching out for a plainly worked robe of deep black. I dreaded going downstairs, having to face everyone. But I was a Queen, and this was what Queens did.