PROLOGUE (pt 1)

SECURE — PROLOGUE PT. 1

[He smiled again at her, and stretched out his hand like he'd seen her do. 'Remus Lupin.']

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

Two young children gripped tight to one another's hand for support, palms sweaty and fingers clammy as they each battled their own different anxieties. They approached the worn-down brick wall that stood just between Platform 9 and 10, still gripping tightly onto each other's sweaty palms. The air whipped back and forth between her long strands while also making work in disheveling his unruly locks.

Though there was a slight difference in his breathing from the way that this was another new adventure — an adventure he wasn't sure he might be able to control — he still managed to smile brightly with that familiar glint of excitement to his hazel eyes because, well, this would be an adventure. So, even with the tiny fear of leaving his parents, of stepping into uncharted territory, James Potter did what he did best - he slapped on the charismatic smile that he seemed to be born to wear and took whatever fears he had and turned it into an unwavering excitement.

The little girl however, didn't quite have his penchant for handling situations with a grinning, perfect face at all times. Instead she wore her own signature smile, small but genuine, and wore her worries in ways that she hadn't even realized she did.   Sure, she would eventually smile just a little wider, her fears dissipated, but it sometimes took a little push, just to know that she wasn't alone in feeling that way.

Unknowingly, she gripped just a little tighter to his hand. "Mighty strong grip you've got there Kate," James said, a bemused look playing at his features. His charming smile melted to become more natural, more comforting. "Hey, don't you worry. We'll get in there and we'll wreak havoc and hell."

And that was all she needed, her fingers relaxing in his. "Think I'll just stick to havoc, you can take the hell." She grinned at him, the knot in her stomach having come undone.

Behind them, a pair of parents ambled along. The two fathers pushed trolleys with two rather large trunks on them, as the two women beside them chatted amicably about their children walking in front of them, one holding a small toddler at her hip.

One pair of parents was undoubtedly older than the others, and it wasn't a surprise that they were often thought of as one big family - grandparents, parents, and three children. It almost fit too perfectly, even though it wasn't quite the truth.

"Katie dear, this is it. Why don't you and James go ahead first. Your father will bring your trunk." The younger of the two women smiled sweetly at the two, motioning her head forward.