Betrothed

Sun was expecting for the tension between her and Prince Christian to be rather high, especially after what the prince had walked in on

Sun was expecting for the tension between her and Prince Christian to be rather high, especially after what the prince had walked in on. But Christian was in good spirits, considering the impending threat known as King Nander. As Sun journeyed alongside of him, she wondered how the greedy king would look.

She imagined him old and fat, with graying hair and...

Prince Christian's silky voice cut through her daydream. She snapped her head in his direction, the gesture too abrupt for a lady, but he hadn't noticed. He simply walked along with a small smile on his face. His gentle, blue eyes glanced down at her.

"Pardon?"

"It is a beautiful day outside," Christian repeated, his tone full of laughter.

"I'm not so sure about that," Sun admitted, glancing down at her trembling fingers. "I'm not looking forward to meeting the king of greed."

"Ah, Crow must've told you about him," Prince Christian surmised. "Well, to give you a peace of mind, my father is always a step ahead of everyone. And I personally wouldn't allow that greedy bastard, Nander, to touch you. Pardon my ungentlemanly manners." Christian paused in the passageway, his hand running along the bottom of his chin as he thought. "And I suppose Crow is up to his own schemes. Do tell me, sweet Sun, why were you so close to my brother? Did he hurt you?"

"No!" Sun's cheeks flushed, and she once again looked down at her fingers, searching for words. She couldn't very well admit her fondness for Prince Christian's brother and break his heart. And yet, she couldn't lie to him. "He...I..."

"Did you receive my note?" the prince intervened, gently pulling Sun to the side of the passageway as two maids scurried about.

"That was your note?" Sun asked, remembering the beauty of the words. A small smile crept along the corners of her mouth. Prince Christian immediately noticed. He raised a hand to her hair and gently moved a loose strand behind her ear. His eyes a tender blue.

"You are the song of a rising sun, and each day my heart shall sing at dawn," Christian sang. "I wrote it two mornings ago. I hope you don't mind being my muse for poetry."

"It was beautiful," Sun admitted, but she couldn't help the disappointment she felt that it hadn't been Crow. Sun looked down the passageway, feeling slightly uncomfortable being so close to him when she'd just been close with his brother. She took a step away. "Do you write poems to all of your muses?"

"All of them?" Christian laughed. "I have had my fair share of fun, but I assure you, I've never met a woman quite as breath-taking as you. You make all of the other flowers in the meadow jealous. And just as the sun shines for you, alone, so shall my poems be inspired by you, alone." With a smile, Prince Christian grabbed Sun's hand and pulled her along. "Come. We don't want to be late."

Sun didn't remember the throne room being so glamourous as it had the first day she arrived. Maybe it was because of her silent defiance and unwillingness to appreciate her new home. Or maybe it was because the throne room, indeed, looked more spectacular and fit for a King's arrival.