THIRTY - SIX

[ A NEW CONTACT ]

THE WIND TANGLED ITSELF IN HALO'S FLAMING HAIR

a blanket was pulled firmly around her shoulders, shielding her skin from the cold all around her. but even still, a deep shiver was set in her bones. there was not much about this planet that she disliked, but if there was one thing, it would be the wild and chaotic drops and spikes in temperature that seemed to happen at the planet's every whim. halo never knew how her body was supposed to feel, so it never was comfortable. and this set her on edge. even more than she already was.

the surface of the ground from where she sat to the farthest place she could see was blood red. the dust that sat on the ground was an equal shade of burgundy, a hair darker than the color of the tendrils that cascaded down halo's back. the cliff's were red. the sea was a light shade of orange, and everything seemed to glow with the burning color. there was nowhere better for her to cope with the death of luke, she supposed, than surrounded by jagged mountainsides and seas that looked like they had been stained in blood.

her heart squeezed uncomfortably. her master's death was still fresh and raw in her mind. she had been there to watch it happen, and that isn't something a person ever forgets. and not matter how many times she had begged for him to appear to her, even just to talk, she was met with silence.

you miss him.

a dulcet voice echoed in her mind. halo squeezed her fingers even tighter around the blanket she held so tautly to herself.

what did you expect? that i would forget him entirely? he was the closest thing to a father i ever knew.

there was a bout of silence in her head, but she could feel the tangled mess of his emotions on the other side. he was apparently having a very bad morning.

i'd expect nothing less.

and then he was gone.

halo let out a groan of frustration. she knew that it couldn't go on like this forever. the back and forth, his pining and his silence and uncertainty. he was a disaster, never feeling the same emotion twice, and always projecting ever little feeling right back on to her. she was hopeful because he was not content in his new position of leadership in the first order. but really, she was tired of playing the game. she just wanted him to come home. she knew the rebellion could win if he were on their side. but he couldn't bring himself to join. halo wasn't sure if he ever could.

the tension in her body was so strained that halo nearly broke into pieces at the sound of footsteps approaching her. she turned around quickly, half expecting to see a dark, looming figure approaching her. but it was only finn and poe. a sigh left her lips.