Chapter 47

After breakfast you decided it would be fun to go to the park together. You got dressed and soon enough it was time to go. Connor held your hand as you walked together. You thought it was cute. He loved being close to you. You didn't mind. You were happy to be around him too.

You both walked there together, but Connor looked...distracted. You wondered why he looked so...sad?

"Connor?" You asked. He looked at you. "What's wrong?" 

"I..." He seemed reluctant to tell you.

"Connor?" He sighed.

"I was just thinking about Nova. She's...normal. She can do things that normal androids can't. I guess that would make her special, but...still. I just feel...wrong. You're human and you need so much more than I do. I wasn't designed for things like cooking or house work. I...I was designed to catch deviants. I...I am deviant, so....I don't really have a.....purpose." He said. You frowned.

"Oh, Connor." You hugged him. "You're more than watch you were designed for. You're important to me. You're important to a lot of people." You said. He smiled a little.

"I know I'm important, but...I just don't know what I can do." He said. You thought about it. 

"Well, it's not much different from me. Right now neither us have anything to do during the day. I think when things go back to normal in the city...well, it's just an offer, but how would you like to be my partner at the station? I took my mom's position as Hank's partner. I think we could be a trio. Hank is the experienced leader, I'm the unnecessary risk taker, and you can be the one who helps us figure out what happened! You're very good at that." You said. He chuckled.

"I would agree with all of that if you left out the risk part." He said. You smiled.

"Well then, you just have to wait for a bit. Don't start doubting yourself, Connor. You're still important and even if you were designed to catch deviants, you're still a detective. There's a lot of things detectives can do. I hope you know that." You said. He smiled.

"You're right. I was getting too worried over nothing. Sorry." 

"Don't be. Everybody has doubts about all kinds of things. I just don't want you to doubt yourself." You said. He nodded.

"I won't. I promise." He said. You smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Feel better now baby?" You asked. He nodded. "Let's have a nice day, okay?" 

"Agreed." He replied. You both walked around the city, exploring places you'd never been before. You both had a great time just walking together. You stopped at a park together to rest for a bit. Connor was fine, but you could only go so far in one sitting. You both sat down together for awhile. You rested against him and he pulled you in close to him. You smiled. 

"Connor."

"Yes?" 

"I..I was just wondering...why..why did you fall in love with me? I thought since you were one of the most advanced androids...there would be a lot more to prevent you for ever...doing that sort of thing." He thought about it.

"In my program, there was this woman, Amanda. She was the one I talked to when giving my reports to Cyberlife. She always told me to stay focused on my mission. When I began to get to know you, I felt something I couldn't describe. It lead to me making a second objective for myself." He explained.

"What was that?" You asked.

"Keep you safe." You were stunned. "I had deemed you important to the investigation to make myself believe I wasn't becoming deviant. The more I told myself that, the more important you became to me. On the roof, when you had confessed to me, I asked Hank the next day what 'love' was. When he explained it, I realized that he had described the feeling I had toward you. I had finally decided that I could...make an exception in my mission. As long as I had time, I would take care of you. Eventually, I realized I only wanted to be with you. I was afraid of Cyberlife shutting me down an taking me away from you, so I thought I had to accomplish my mission no matter what I believed. After I became deviant, I realized that no matter what I did in their favor, they would still be done with me afterward. It was then I realized I had to stay with you, no matter what I'd have to do." You smiled. You kissed him. He kissed back, holding you close. You both stayed like that for a long time. Your lungs were yelling at you though. You pulled away and looked into his eyes. He smiled at you and cupped your cheek. Your arms wrapped around him. "I have a question." 

"What is it?" You asked.

"Why did you fall in love with me?" You thought about it.

"I never liked thinking of androids as just...robots. I empathize with anything that seems alive in anyway possible. When I met you, you seemed nice and interesting. You were different. You also seemed more friendly. You made me laugh and you were somebody that seemed different from everybody else. As I learned more about you...you made me feel happy. You felt like a friend. After that, you became something more to me. It was all the little things you did and then the bigger things only made me fall in deeper. It was just...everything. When you stopped me from jumping and I made the mistake of...hurting you...I realized I didn't want to leave you. When you said you loved me in the garden, I just knew. I knew I couldn't be without you." You replied. He smiled. He kissed you quick before whispering,

"You're beautiful. You're sweet. You see me like nobody else does. It's the reason I'm here with you. It's one of the many reasons I love you." You smiled.

"I love you too, Connor." You said. "Connor, thank you. Thank you for being here with me. For everything." He smiled.

"You don't have to thank me, (Y/n). I should be thanking you. You've helped me become who I really am. You freed me and you keep giving me so much more." You chuckled. 

"Why wouldn't I?" You teased. He smiled at you. Then, you heard something. You both looked around. You heard a quiet shrill sound. You both looked toward a patch of mud. It was drying up since it had rained two days ago. You both looked at each other before going to investigate. You were shocked. It was a kitten. She was covered in mud and half buried in it. You gently pulled her out. Connor scanned her. 

"She's dehydrated, starving, and extremely exhausted." He said. "She needs care right away." You nodded.

"Let's get her home. Can you tell how long she's been here?" You asked.

"She has been here since the middle of the storm two days ago. She got stuck in the mud. Her mother tried to pull her out, but her other three kittens were freezing and needed shelter. She had to abandon it for the benefit of her other offspring." Connor informed. You nodded.

"Cats can only go three days without water before it become sever. At this age she'd still be suckling. She'll need milk instead. Let's go." You said. Connor nodded. You used the scarf you were wearing to wrap her up and keep her warm. You hurried home.

When you arrived you asked Connor to fill the kitchen sink with warm water while you got what you needed to clean her. You both took care of her. She was mewling the entire time. You knew she was probably scared. She couldn't open her eyes because of the mud and the fact you had to clean around her face. 

Nova came in soon enough. She sniffed the kitten once she was all cleaned up. She whined, clearly concerned for the small cat. You fed the kitten and after she'd had her milk you let Nova get a better look at her. Nova gently picked her up and carried her away. You followed her to be safe and you saw that she was placing the kitten in her dog bed. She laid down and gently curled her tail around the kitten. You both smiled.

"She's a good wolf." You said.

"Agreed. It's a good thing your father made her. She is a perfect caretaker for Snow." You were stunned.

"Snow?" You questioned.

"The kitten is a female. She has white fur with light grey spots. It looks as if her fur represents a snowy day. I thought it would be a nice name for her." Connor said. You smiled.

"Nova and Snow." You said. "Perfect." He smiled, happy that you liked it. You smiled.

"We saved her." Connor said as the two animals slept together.

"Yeah. I'd say that was the good deed for the day. Today was nice." You said. He smiled.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."