Chapter One

Chapter One

Sam

I tipped my chair back, resting my feet on top of the shaky wooden desk of room 101. Kids were still streaming in the classroom from lunch, my two best friends included. Dallas strut through the open door like he owned the place, highfiving and fist bumping everyone he saw. His jet-black hair swopped up off his forehead and his five o'clock shadow added five years to his age. That, and his 6'5 frame complete with shoulders wider than my kitchen table.

Following close behind my alpha-and I mean close-was his mate, Troye. Troye was beautiful. He had flawlessly pale skin, full red lips, and an adorably cheeky smile that could make anyone swoon. He was slender, but he was strong. His blue t-shirt clung to his lightly muscled chest and brought out the clear blue eyes that Dallas loved. That wasn't the other thing about Troye that held Dallas' attention 24/7, though. And everyone knew it, too. I mean everyone.

Even now Dallas had a tight grip on Troye's hand as he led him through the classroom to their seats. If someone so much as looked at Troye wrong, Dallas was there in a second, threatening to cut off their genitalia or take them out back and "teach them a lesson." The whole school knew not to cross Troye because they probably wouldn't get out alive. But when Troye was happy, Dallas was elated. He never stopped smiling and get on well with everyone, all because of one boy.

I felt my stomach clench at the thought, my body being reminded of the boy who used to make me feel the same way. Well, at least we were getting to that point. I shook my head, willing all thoughts of Damien to leave my head. It had already been three weeks and I still couldn't even look at Troye and Dallas together without wanting to cry. I need to get over it. Over him. I had to.

Yeah, maybe Damien has a charmingly goofy smile, and maybe he has soft chocolate brown eyes that make me swoon, and maybe he did give me this smoldering look after sex that made me groan with pleasure, but he will not take my heart. I won't let him.

He's over you, get over him.

He left you, get over it.

Get over it.

I repeated the words over in over in my mind as the chatter of my classmates faded around me. I could do this. I could do this.

"Hey man, we missed you yesterday! It was the last day of winter break, Sam you should have gone out, dude," Dallas' signature deep voice echoed in my ears as I began to find my way back to reality.

"Dal, don't be insensitive," I heard Troye scold lightly from my other side. Dallas gave me a guilty look, then exchanged a wary glance with Troye as if I wasn't right there.

Yeah, I'll admit it. I haven't gone out much since Damien left. Well, I haven't gone out at all really except to go to work. I've been at the pack house more than my own house, for obvious reasons, and just didn't see the fun in partying anymore. All we did was get drunk and dance and if I didn't have someone to do it with, I didn't really want to do it all.

"No...It's fine guys, really," I replied softly, not really in the mood to go into specifics. Troye reached over and placed a hand on mine and gave me a small smile.

"Whenever you're ready, Sam."

I just nodded, not trusting my voice, and turned my attention back to the front of the class. We had US History right now and our teacher, Ms. Jensen, had just left on maternity leave the day before break. I sighed, dreading the stand-in teacher. Knowing my luck, it would be a hetero dude I couldn't charm into giving me an extra point or two on a test. I made good grades and all, but an extra little something never hurt.

It was three minutes into the period and I was getting anxious. No one had shown up to teach us and kids were gossiping loudly all around me, putting my senses into overdrive. I tapped my pencil viscously against the desk, glancing around every so often. I hated loud noises in general and on top of the ceaseless talking from every direction, my ears picked up everything in a mile radius due to my wolfyness. It was a blessing when I was on the battlefield, but when I was in school with quite a lot of anxiety and a lack of patience, it was a curse.

The voices stopped abruptly. I slowly lifted my head from my hands at the signature sound of chalk on a chalkboard. A sigh of relief flooded from my lips and I relaxed, praising the gods for preventing another anxiety attack.

A man stood at the board, his back turned to us as he continued writing. He was tall and skinny with a narrow waist but a curved ass. I instinctively licked my lips as my eyes followed his powerful legs clothed in tight black pants. He had on a white and blue pinstriped button up that hugged his torso nicely, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He had dark auburn hair that looked smooth to the touch and was combed down nicely, adding to his professional aura. I peered over at Dallas and gave him a smirk regarding this hot piece of ass in front of us, but he was too busy staring at Troye to see.

My eyes found the blackboard again right as the man finished. He had written Mr. Rush in all capitals, even underlining it a few times.

Rush... Rush... where had I heard that name before?! I snuck a peak at the two sitting next to me, but their eyes were facing forward, ready to begin the lesson with no trace of confusion-or whatever I was feeling-on their faces.

Just as I glanced back over to the front of the classroom, I wished I hadn't. I froze, my throat suddenly dry.

"Welcome to US History, class. My name is Mr. Rush."

The smooth velvety voice that haunted every one of my nightmares invaded my ears and I suddenly had the overwhelming desire to barf.

And when my eyes met Damien's, I did.

~~
REMINDER: IF YOU ARE CONFUSED, THIS IS A SEQUEL. READ THE ALPHA'S INSTINCT FOR CLARIFICATION!! Thanks guys!

Sooo what do you guys think?! I'm super excited to know, drop me a comment below :) (Hey that rymed!)

xoxox