TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
( EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER )

THE MORNING OF THE next day, Nick didn't want to wake up

THE MORNING OF THE next day, Nick didn't want to wake up. Between rushing to do his homework at one in the morning and low key freaking about his fight with Peter, he didn't get much sleep and he was very tempted to ignore all of his alarms and act sick, but decided against it. He put on some music just to wake himself up more as he got dressed and ready, mumbling the lyrics. Three songs later, he stopped the music and walked down stairs with his bag hanging off of one shoulder. It fell to the ground as he walked to the couch, falling onto it with a soft thud, sinking into the cushions as he stared at the muted TV.

The morning news was on, curtesy of his mother who for some reason loved the news. By the looks of the news anchors' faces, the adults seemed to be fighting about something. Nick tiredly rolled his eyes at it. That's all those people did. Fight. It was the main reason he avoided the news, other than it being boring; but other than that, if it wasn't always so dramatic and boring, he'd be interested in keeping up with the world.

"You okay, kiddo?" Dan asked as he walked into the living room, sitting down in the recliner to put on his shoes. At Nick's grunt of reply, the man chuckled quietly as he shook his head. He finished tying his shoes and stood up. "Well, your mom is taking you to school today, but I'll convince her to get you coffee. How 'bout that?"

Nick lifted his eyes up to his dad and gave a small frown. "Don't, it'll make her feel rushed," he said.

"You need it. You look more zombie-like than usual."

"Thanks." Nick rolled his eyes but let out a small laugh, Dan smiling at the fact he got the reaction he wanted out of his son. He then bent down and ruffled his hair up before leaving the room and going to where Sharon was, most likely to persuade her to get Nick coffee, which he wasn't going to complain about. He just didn't want his mom to feel too rushed.

A few or so minutes later, Nick was in the car with his mom, his dad already gone, and on their way to Starbucks. The car ride was silent most of the time other than the few instances where she asked how school was going for him and what he wanted from Starbucks, followed by his short answers. It really wasn't until after he had gotten his coffee when the conversation picked up, not long until they would be at Midtown.

"Have you spoken to James recently?" Sharon asked, genuinely curious, after he told her that he and Marty were hanging out after school. They weren't; it was detention.

"Rogers? Um..." Nick frowned, trying to think when he had last spoken to James. They haven't talked much, not really. Not since their fight and not since their conversation at Nick birthday party where the older boy was worried. A few times, James had texted him but something kept Nick from replying. He knew why, too, but he never wanted to admit it until then; that it was because of a certain someone. "Not really. No," Nick finally answered. "Why?"