Caught

CORA

I am strong.
I am fierce.
I am not a victim.

Although my circumstsnces would claim me a victim, I will myself to be a conqueror. I take action and demand justice. I was almost killed the night Titus took reign; those cold dungeon walls kept me prisoner, and even though my body broke, I did not.

I have had my heart broken. I have trusted and have been betrayed. Manipulated, I was a pawn in a game of chess. Still, I did not break.

Sure, there were moments when I almost lost my mind, but I had the Fire King's warmth to thank for that. And now, as I march toward his quarters, uncaring of the possible guards or being caught, I am not so sure of his trust.

My mind darkens with the thought of his betrayal. There was always a possibility that I would never gain his trust, but it had never crossed my mind that he was also playing King Titus. If he was truly out for blood, we would all be doomed.

But doomed or not, I would always be prepared.

I guess I'd spent my whole life hardening my heart against life's little curses. Everyone I ever loved betrayed me, and deep inside, I knew never to trust that four letter word.

Love is an emotion, and all emotions wither and die with time...

I can't believe I had almost broken in front of the fire king. I had shared my deepest emotions with him; I had trusted him. And in return, he kept his truth from me. He would soon see the error in his ways...

I had made it saftely to the hallway where his bedroom lay just ahead. My hands rose to his door, but before I had the chance to knock, it swept open, and the heat of his room beckoned me.

I fought against the familiar lure of his warmth...the way it caressed me as it welcomed me with open arms. I fought the urge to melt in his presence the way I used to do for Titus.

I was strong...wasn't I?

The Fire King's presence filled his lair, a sweet melody I knew too well. He stood, facing his fire place, his bare back muscles were lean and powerful. I could see the rising and falling of his broad shoulders as he breathed eveningly. It was hard not to notice the way the soft red hues from the flames ignited his skin, making it smooth like the finest silk linen.

My resolve almost faltered as my heart beat drummed against my chest, a galloping stamped. Not even the sight of Titus could undo me the way Toro's aura did.

He turned his head ever the slightest, aknowleding my presence. "I was wondering when you would come."

Of all the smart remarks I could throw at him, I remained silent. This caused him to face me, and his dark green eyes caressed me as he took me in. Only he could completely disrobe my anger with a single look.

And with the absence of my anger, I felt raw. Hurt. Misused. Had I really imagined his fondness of me?

King Toro's brows furrowed as he assessed me, and within seconds, he was in front of me, reading my every emotion "What's wrong?"

I blinked away tears I hadn't realized were forming at the brim of my eyes. His hand gently wiped them away, his face tender with compassion. This was not a man who secretly hated me. He couldn't be.

"Tell me, Cora," he whispered. "What is it?"

As much as I wanted to accuse him, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't convince myself that he was the enemy.

"I..." I hesitated, not sure what I even wanted to say. With a sigh, I forced my words out. "Reality is a bitter, cruel thing, isn't it? You could want something with such fierceness and still know that no matter how hard you try, you will never obtain it.