Chapter 1

Megan's POV

The first day of school is revolting. New teachers, people change, new classes. It's just...ugh. I feel like yacking just thinking about it.

Today is my first day of school, and I extremely miss summer. I really hope this isn't going to be as awful as I think it'll be

I get out of bed. I brush my teeth and take my brown hair out of my French braid. I brush it to give it more volume, put it into a bun, and go to my room to pick out an outfit.

I pick out a white hoodie, some cropped black lulu leggings, Nike socks and my shoes because who cares about looking good on the first day. I apply little make up, put on my white Air Force 1s, and go downstairs.

"I can't believe you guys are so old," my mom says, probably talking to Nash.

Nash has been my best friend since sixth grade. He's a year older than me, but we've managed to stay close for all these years. I know, I don't know how I dealt with him for so freaking long.

"What's up, loser?" I say. "Wow, awesome burn. Did you make that up yourself?" he asks. 

Aw, my little sophomore Megan," He teases and tries to mess up my hair. "Shut up and let's get this day over with," I say, throwing my hoodie up to protect my head. 

Nash is like a brother I never had. He's always been there for me through my ups and downs. He's been my best friend for so long, and I don't know what I'd do without him.

I grab a banana, say bye to my mom, and get into his car.

"Ready for junior year?" I ask him. "Not really. There's so much more work than sophomore year," he responds. I sigh at the reminder of work.

I turn on the radio and search for a good song. I hear On the Loose by Niall Horan come on and I immediately stop skipping stations and start to sing along.

We pull up into Nash's usual parking space and get out of the car. Right in front of me is a huge group of girls surrounding one table... weird.

"What are they crowding around that table for?" I ask Nash. "I don't know, but I gotta to go meet up with a teacher." he says. "Already?" I snort. "Yes, I'm behind on summer homework. See you later okay?" he says.

I see my friend Sarah, and I tap her on the shoulder. "Hey! Megan!" she says and hugs me. "Hey what's everyone crowding around there for?" I ask while hugging her back.

"There's this new kid. He sings, and he's super hot and with nice arms, but I heard he's super rude, so I'm not gonna waste my time on him, no matter how cute he actually is." she says. I raise my eyebrow. "No seriously!" She puts her hands up in defense. "The one time we get a hot guy in this school, he has to be a dick."

The bell rang, and we started walking to class. "Ugh I'm not ready for sophomore year. Freshman year was so easy and now I actually have to try dude. I think I should just give up now." she says. "I feel the exact same."

We get to our classroom, and the teacher is already annoying and loud. She assigns us our seats, and I'm obviously on the opposite side if the room from Sarah. All the teachers know that we "talk to much in class," but I'm not denying it. The teacher put me in the back corner and put Sarah in the front.

"Shawn Mendes," my teacher says. "Go sit next to Megan in the back."

Wow. That must be the new guy. I've never seen him before. He is hot. He can sing, too? That makes him even better.

"Hey I'm Megan," I say, introducing myself. "Whatever," he says rolling his eyes. Uhm, doeS THIS BITCH KNOW WHO I AM? To be honest, I'm a no one, but still. I ignore him and shake my head. I try to pay attention to this annoying teacher to get the class over with.

I couldn't stop staring at him though. He was really cute. It's like his bone structure was carved by God.

When class was over, I met up with Sarah outside the classroom. "He was so rude," I say. "Yup. Totally. The way you were looking at him the whole time during class. Mhmm. You definitely think he's rude," she says sarcastically.

"I'm serious Sarah. He's an annoying piece of shit who thinks he's all that just because of his looks and talents," I say. "You got all that from just a greeting?" I slouch my shoulders.

"Okay, okay. I got to head to class. See you at lunch!" She says. "Bye," I say.

I walk into my next class which is English Honors. I sit in the back once again. Then, that ridiculous excuse of a boy walks in late, and the teacher assigns him to the only empty seat: the one next to me. Of course, the only seat open is the one next to me. Great.

"Ugh. You again?" he says. My eyebrows furrow and I roll my eyes. Awesome, he just ruined my favorite class.

~at lunch~

I meet up with Sarah, and we sit at our regular lunch table.

I get up and the new kid bumps into me again, and I fall flat on my butt. Can he literally leave me alone? He's been on my ass the whole day.

"Watch where you're going," he says.

"Fuck you" I say

"Fuck you."

"Maybe 'fuck you' will be our always," I say.

Sarah spits out her milk and starts cracking up. Everyone starts cracking up and was watching. It literally wasn't that funny. I, red from embarrassment, sit back down and keep talking to Sarah.

~after school~

"Get in loser were going home," Nash says through his rolled down car window as he drives up in his range rover. "Awesome Mean Girls reference. Great joke. I'm laughing so hard," I say sarcastically as I get in the car.

We have our small talk about our classes and new people, that kind of stuff. He drops me off, and I thank him.

I get out of the car, open my door, say "hey" to my mom, and go upstairs.

"MEGAN?!" my mom calls.

"YES?"

"MEGAN?!?"

"YES??"

"MEGAN?!?!?!"

"WHAT!"

"YOUR BABYSITTING THE NEW NEIGHBORS DAUGHTER TONIGHT AT 6:00 OK?!?"

"BUT I HAVE TO STUDY!" I complain. I get no response back.

Welp, I guess I'm babysitting tonight.

I study until 5:50 and then head over to the neighbors house.

I knock on the door and was greeted by a woman with tan skin, dyed hair, pretty eyes, and a friendly smile. "Hi. You must be Megan?" 

"Yes. Very nice to meet you."

"Hi I'm Mrs. Mendes! Come in!" she said. That name sounded so familiar.

A girl about 10 years old came up to me. "Hi I'm Aaliyah!" she says. "Hi I'm Megan."

"We have another son. Let me introduce you to him." Mrs. Mendes says.

She goes upstairs and gets him. I hear footsteps coming from above and then down the stairs.

As I see his face, I come to realize why the name sounded so familiar. It's that piece of shit from school today.

----

that fault in our stars part was so cringe I'm sorry but I had to leave it in lmao

-muffin_mendes