Chapter Eight

When Renata returned home later than expected, Adelmo could see the distraught look on her face, which left him to question if something had gone

When Renata returned home later than expected, Adelmo could see the distraught look on her face, which left him to question if something had gone. He truly hoped that it didn't involve Renata losing her job only after having it for a day, especially when she had seemed so excited by the idea initially. He welcomed her inside the kitchen where he had been cooking for himself at the time and poured her a cup of tea after getting her to sit down. He was afraid to ask if anything bad had happened but at the same time, he was concerned for his little sister, hoping that it wasn't anything too bad.

"Renata, what's wrong?" he questioned her as he sat across from her, watching as she gripped the small teacup in hand. "Did something happen today?"

Eventually, Renata peered up at him and let out a small sigh. " He is such a broken man, Al," Renata said, " it breaks my heart to see any person suffer in such a way. You should have seen him today, I know he doesn't want me around but he's doing it for the sake of his son. Or at least, that's what I thought and then I went to leave and he was begging me to stay. He was willing to just pay me more money as long as I agreed to stay."

She grabbed a spoon and stirred in some sugar to her tea but still didn't bring herself to drink it, instead, she just watched as the liquid swirled about slightly.

"I don't think this is just the job of a nanny anymore," she told him, " that family needs so much more."

"Are you quitting then?" Adelmo asked, not entirely blaming her if the answer was "yes." He was sure that when she agreed to the job that she wasn't looking to carry the emotional baggage that James Potter came with.

"No, of course not," Renata shook her head quickly, " that would be the worst thing I could do right now. The man couldn't even cook himself a proper meal, even with the use of magic, it's a wonder that he and Harry aren't all skin and bones right now. You should have tasted this sauce that Mr Potter was trying to force Harry to eat, it was dreadful. I had no other option but to take them to the markets and then I made them spaghetti tonight."

"That's not stereotypical it at all," Adelmo chuckled with a slight roll of his eyes in amusement."Pasta, really?"

"I know, I know, but they ate and that's the most important thing. They were fed when I left them and Harry actually seemed to enjoy the meal."

There was a little hint of pride to her tone that she had gotten Harry to eat something. The little one was not the most dainty eater by far as half of his plate ended up all over his face and clothes, but he did slurp down the noodles and sauce and that was enough for her to feel rather accomplished.

"Well," Adelmo said as he placed his hand over her wrist gently, " just practise caution with this situation, Ren. I know you want to help them, I know you like helping people, but you're going to be taking on a lot. I don't want to see you stress yourself out and I certainly don't want to see you get hurt. Just be careful, that's all I ask."