Chapter 160: Freedom Granted By A "Witch"

Naturally, seeing how we were already half a month into winter, it was cold. Colder than cold, especially when setting out on the eastern borders of a country known for its people of cold hearts too. Cold as ice, when approaching the large building with lights on right before me, stepping over the air to keep my ribboned feet from being soaked...and feeling somewhat too lazy to cast a spell to prevent them from being soaked...and wondering how the Stars she'd managed to convince me to bring her along.

     "Fi-"

     "Knight."

     "Knight-"

     "Yes, Magaris?" I sighed out to the snowflake drifting down past where my foot stood on air.

     "A-Are you s-s-sure Mas-M-Master Keir will allow-"

     I turned on her for a moment, wearing an expression of disgusted surprise on my ribboned face for her even suggesting that. "What type of propaganda has he been feeding you for you to ask something like that? He doesn't allow me to do anything. I can count on one hand how many times we met before you came into the picture."

     "Actual-ly, I feed you b-both-"

     "Magaris, I'm going to send you back if you keep threatening to bite off your tongue."

     "It's cold!"

     "I'm aware of that. Mana, image, and a word. I thought you listened when I rambled sometimes, Magaris. Haven't you already cast a spell for retaining warmth already?"

     "I w-wasn't sure wh-what to say for t-the word."

     "It can be a phrase."

     "...I forgot."

     And the maid, standing in the snow slowly building up as we approached the mountainside retreat, kept shivering. Somehow, she'd managed to convince me to take her when I said I was just going to check on the slave trading situation in Newone since I'd left it alone for so long...and because Kiki had guiltily glanced to the side when I asked what she'd done about it...

     "[R-R-Retain H-Heat]," Magaris shivered into existence, arms folded and shoulders squished into her body uncomfortably. "[Boost Warmth]."

     And she finally stopped shivering.

     "Here," I flung a few spells back at her. "Not that anyone will recognize you, and not that they'd do anything since you're with me, but just in case."

     "Wh-"

     "I've always wanted a squire." I nodded to myself, looking at my handiwork. It really wasn't much as Knight tilted her head to the side, lips pressing together in protest to the false words that came out of my mouth. "Never mind. I never wanted one."

     "T-This is too clingy-"

     "Bear with it, Magaris, or you're going back home."

     And the gray-ribboned woman released her arms to chase after me. Her stark white ponytail swished and jerked in the air as she felt the single band around her eyes.

     "What is-"

     "I'm Knight. You're Squire. Anything else is prohibited until the transformations come off."

     And the transformed maid sighed. "This wasn't what I had in mind."

     "I'm never what anyone has in mind. Now, hush with the personal talk. It's time for business. You wait in the lobby," I yawned, feeling the urge unable to be suppressed. "I'll go check on my folks for a bit, it shouldn't be too long. No one will mess with you, so don't talk to them."