Chapter 30 - Even the Quietest Man Can Be Quite Stubborn

"Fu fu fu...fu fu fu fu..."

Feng Yao's low laugh slowly spread in the air. Everyone froze and slowly turned to look in her direction. Her shoulders were slightly shaking as her evil chuckles filled them all with an ominous sense of foreboding.

Especially for a certain Young Master.

Ignoring their stiff looks, Feng Yao grinned as she brought her fingertips together and began tapping them rhythmically against each other. The scene was strangely similar to how a mob boss would act while slowly turning around in a giant chair. Even the pee-inducing smile was the same.

"There are three types of people in this world that can soften the hearts of anyone."

She held up a finger. "One—the helpless elderly."

A second finger was raised. "Two—young and pitiful orphan children."

Another finger joined them. "But the third?" Her face retained its childish glee as she cheerfully swung her leg over the horse.

"Hehe, you'll have to wait and see~"

Feng Yao's eyes were sparkling as she was helped down by a wary Ru Qiang. As soon as both of her feet touched the ground, she excitedly limped over towards Xi'er with a frightening speed that made Xi'er subconsciously step backwards in surprise.

Wasn't she supposed to be injured? And malnourished? And on the verge of collapsing?

"Little Xi! You're coming with me! Onwards we go!"

Xi'er was forcibly dragged away by the chanting Feng Yao. Xi'er quickly glanced towards her master, but upon seeing Ru Qiang's helpless shrug, she could only sigh and allow herself to be pulled along into an evil scheme.

The both of them soon reached the entrance of the little inn. Around the outside doorway were beautiful plants and flowers that added to the charm of the small but cozy little building. Floating lightly in the air was also the scent of pleasant sweetness.

Feng Yao abruptly stopped in front of the doorway. "Just follow along, kay?" A sweet look played on Feng Yao's face as she smiled at Xi'er. Xi'er couldn't help but study her innocent expression.

Maybe she had misjudged the young girl? Perhaps her plan wasn't actually going to be that evil?

Xi'er felt slightly better. She had probably just misread the Young Miss' intentions. Yes, that was it.

She gave a nod of confirmation, and Feng Yao grinned. Xi'er watched as Feng Yao reached out to open the door that led to the inside of the inn.

Suddenly, Xi'er felt a strong tug on her arm as she was yanked forward by Feng Yao. In the spit second that it took to rebalance herself, a shrill cry sounded out in front of her.

She whipped her head in the direction of the voice only to see Feng Yao tripping and tumbling forward towards the wooden floor with a dramatic, "Aiyaaaa!"

Xi'er was completely taken off guard and had to frantically dive forward to catch her before she hit the ground. "Young Miss!"

"Oh goodness! What happened!"

Xi'er glanced upwards and saw an elderly couple rushing over towards them. Judging by their modest clothing, they were most likely the pair that was running this inn. She looked towards Feng Yao again only to be hit with alarm.

Feng Yao's breathing was uneven and sporadic as if getting up pained her thin and dirty body. And when she finally lifted her face to meet the couple, her eyes were already full of unshed tears.