28: Making Waves

Across the prefecture at the Beula residence, a deceptively calm man sat across from Lord Beula in a richly adorned study.

"All this time and we still know nothing about that group of summoners." Lord Beula slammed his meaty fist onto his desk.

"Our spies and agents sent to rebuild the black market disappear before they reach the city." The man spoke respectfully and to the point. He was desperate to minimize Lord Beula's anger. Of the three men who had been in charge of the southern district's black market, only he remained alive. 

"Why is it so difficult to get a spy in now when it was so easy that other time?"

"I believe that spy was allowed in with the intention of providing misinformation."

Lord Beula sat back in his ornate cushy chair. His arms were folded, eyes closed as he thought over all that had gone wrong in the southern district in the last several months.

"The plans for Sunrow village were disrupted. Old man Meric is still firmly leading and the wells were restored somehow. We've lost control in Xere city. The black market there is in shambles. All our contacts and supporters in that area are dead or missing. Some upstart kid reformed the slums and even got the Emperor's attention for it and now I'm supposed to go reward him for it."

Lord Beula opened his eyes as he angrily crumpled a notification letter from the Emperor's officials. The letter praised the foresight and excellent city planning used to improve the lives of the impoverished in Xere city.

"Choose two unassuming people to accompany me to the award ceremony. They will act as my aides. I'll send them around the city doing tasks so they can get a good look. Well focus on gathering information rather than re-establishing control."

The calm man nodded in silent ascent. He already had some people in mind. He listened closely as Lord Beula continued.

"For now, we'll cut our losses in the southern district. Increase security in the other four districts. Remove anyone with questionable loyalty. I'll perform a few charitable acts through the five districts to please the Emperor."

"Yes, sir." The calm man left, he wiped away a bit of sweat from his forehead after he exited the room. 

Lord Beula set about making preparations to travel to his southern district's Xere city for the reward ceremony he was expected to perform. At least he would get to spend some time with his dear child Laconia. She attended the best academy in his prefecture, the one in the southern district.

~~~

The time for registration neared. In the blink of an eye, it was less than two weeks away. The award ceremony would be a few days before the entrance exam.

By now the former slum residents had achieved enough independence to no longer need to be fed. Imogen's group only needed to act as overseers. 

Lenix brought everyone to his estate in Sunrow village to discuss their plans for the academy in secret. Imogen started the discussion.

"Academy starts soon. Lenix and I will continue to provoke some powerful enemies. We will all become easy targets once we enter the academy. You guys decide on what you want to do from here on out. Think about your own futures and what you want to achieve." Imogen advised the others.

"Serve Lord Lenix," Alex answered quickly. 

"I want to attend the academy and I want to make sure this town never goes back to how it was." Fran was also decisive.

Ander didn't really know anything about the future or goals. He wanted to stay together with everyone longer though. So he will follow along with the group.