Memories | 03

My ears filled with laughter, a sweet sound which I enjoyed very much. The beautiful sound of happiness and of clear amusement captured my attention instantly, willing the rest of my body to drop everything I was doing to and to just wrap my arms around her, missing, no, craving her presence. But I did say that I was going to bring her a drink. Keeping to my word, I grabbed two cans of soda from the fridge and returned to Ally.

Upon entering the living room which she occupied at the moment, I froze in my tracks after I took note of the photo frame that Ally was holding. Immediately, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment and my legs sprang into action as I threw the cans of soda on the couch and ran over to Ally in a haste attempt to grab the picture from her.

Despite the fact that I had calculated my every move very carefully, she was one step ahead of me as she hid the photo frame behind her back and faced me with an innocent smile displayed on her face; one which made me weak at the knees, but I couldn’t show any weakness now or she would win.

Inching closer to her, I decided that I would put my skills of persuasion to use. “Love, just pass me that picture.” I said in a cool tone, my hand outstretched expectantly before me.

Unfortunately for me, my sweet girlfriend had other ideas. Cocking her head to one side, she looked up at me. “Now why would I do that?”

Experiencing a wave which left me flustered, I gulped before carrying on. “Because I ask you to…” I trailed off, suggesting that my statement was indeed a question.

Pouting slightly, she brought the image out from behind her back and stared down at it, a small smile forming on her delicate lips. “But I want to keep it.” She reasoned, looking up at me with high hopes evidently displayed through her eyes. “I like it.”

In one quick movement, I sneakily grabbed it from her hands while she was caught off-guard and this time hid it behind my back, sending her an apologetic look. “How about we get rid of this one and find you a better one? One which I actually look like a decent human being in.” I suggested, praying silently that she would agree, even though I knew she wouldn’t.

Sucking her teeth, she crossed her arms and stood her ground, resembling an angry teenager who wasn’t getting her way. Ironically, that was exactly what she was at the moment. “I want that one.” She repeated, jerking her chin at me, indicating the photo frame which I now held before me as I weighed out both the situation and the circumstances.

It was as if we were having a silent conversation – or battle – one which she seemed to be overpowering me in. Sighing internally, I reluctantly agreed with her wanting to keep the embarrassing photo of me. She took it from me with a knowing smile.

Placing the frame back in its original position on the fireplace, she wrapped her arms around my neck as she gave me a hug. Inhaling the sweet scent of lavender and roses, I returned the gesture. Hopefully she didn’t hear my rapid heartbeat which seemed to have accelerated upon contact with her.

“You look so cute!” She gushed, gesturing once again to the photo.

Moving over to the couch and slouching down on it, I enjoyed my can of soda whilst allowing her to fawn over my oh-so embarrassing photo.

Clutching tightly onto the frame, she jumped next to me on the couch, sitting sideways on both knees so that she was facing me. “I still can’t believe it! I can’t imagine you with long hair.” She announced thoughtfully, poking fun at me. But I didn’t mind. As long as she was happy, I was happy.

---

Groaning as I tossed and turned, wrapping myself in the sheets after having woke up after a beautiful dream; a very familiar one indeed as I could clearly recall spending that evening with Ally. That was merely one of the memories that Ally and I shared, creating a bond so string that an extreme amount of effort and commitment would be needed to break it. In short, Ally and I were close, very close.