[9]

"Who was that cute boy you were just standing with?" Cho demanded, gripping (Y/N) 's shirt and shaking her rapidly for answers.

(Y/N) blinked a bit dizzy as Cho released her firm grip. "C-calm down Cho-chan. That was just Ayato-kun."

The pink haired girl gaped at her. "The Ayato Kirishima?" Cho was her best friend since second grade so of course (Y/N) had told her about her mission to put a smile on her favourite mystery.

(Y/N) nodded, smiling shyly. "Yeah."

Cho whistled. "Way to go. I knew he couldn't resist that cute smile." She said teasingly.

"Don't celebrate yet, I'm not even close to scratching the surface of his tough facade." (Y/N) said, walking with Cho towards the school.

"Still. He's super cute. You might not see him like that but I'm positive you'll both grow up and marry each other and have cute little blue and (H/C) haired cutie pies." Cho chirped.

(Y/N) felt heat rush to her cheeks. "Cho-chan, eww don't wanna think about that."

"Suure ya don't." Cho dragged with a wink of her vibrant green eyes. (Y/N) shook her head as she playfully shoved Cho.

Cho laughed. They stopped at theirs lockers which was to the right of the entrance. All the lockers were in horizontal rows.

Taking off their shoes, they replaced it with their black uwabaki--a kind of plastic in door footwear meant to be used indoors--that was in their lockers.

"I swear neither of you grew an inch." A smooth boyish voice drawled.

The girls turned and saw their best friend Aito standing behind them, his uwabaki already on with a sheepish grin.

"Aito-kun!" They exclaimed and jumped on him, hugging the life out of him.

"C-can't--" he gasped out, stumbling back a bit at their heavy weights.

Cho chuckled nervously and jumped back almost instantly. (Y/N) pulled away after. It was obvious Cho and Aito kinda crushed on each other since they were eight but none of them would actually admit it. Cho met him through (Y/N) who had been best friends with him since kindergarten.

Cho was adorable and tiny and looked even more adorable when she was angry and pissed. She had long pink hair that reached her waist, to which she usually tied into two high ponytails completed with cute bange.

Aito was tall with dark curly hair and brown eyes that resembled the coffee beans (Y/N) used to make coffee and tea everyday. He was charming and charismatic, not to mention an excessive flirter.

"So how was your holiday Aito-kun?" Cho asked with a cute smile.

"Boring. Nothing out of the ordinary." He answered with a nonchalant shrug as they walked down the hallway. "Yours?"

"We went to my village to visit my grandparents. It was alright." She replied. She than turned to (Y/N) asked the one question (Y/N) dreaded. "How about yours (Y/N)-chan? Anything interesting?"

Oh, nothing much, I just watched my parents get eaten alive right in front of me only to find out that the cute boy that I kinda liked that lived in my favorite shop was a ghoul and everyone who worked there also were ghouls who saved my life and now every afternoon I train with a deadly S rated ghoul called Mr Yomo-san who is going to help me train to better protect myself from other bad ghouls.

"Nah. It was a boring holiday." She replied as casually as she could.

After school she waited by the front gate and not a minute passed by before Ayato was already there.

"Come on." He said, practically ordered, as he lead the way back home. He wore a black tee and black trousers. (Y/N) thought he looked cute in all black.

She ran up to meet his pace.

"So is this gonna be an everyday thing or is this just a special occasion?" She chirped, looking up at him as he stared ahead.

"Everyday." He answered in a monotone.

"Yess!" (Y/N) mouth, fisting the air.

"And why are you so happy anyway?" He asked, a bit annoyed by her bubbly behavior.

"Well obviously because I get to spend more time with you and you still didn't give me an answer yet so I have enough time to persuade you." She replied matter-of-factly.

He shifted his gaze to meet the side of her face inquiriously. "What answer?"

(Y/N) turned to him and met his confused gaze. "Remember? You said you'd think about it, whether you wanna be my friend or not?"

He squinted his eyes slightly and looked ahead. (Y/N) smiled. She had to admit the fact that when he was confused and slightly lost he looked absolutely adorable.

"Ahh, right." He muttered, as he remembered.

"Mmhmm." She hummed,  shifting her gaze ahead. She could see Antieku. She was eager to tell Touka and Irimi about her first day.

The whole street was practically empty save for the shop owners who were closing shop. It was cold, a gentle breeze breezing past her.

It wasn't until she realized she was only hearing her footsteps did she realize Ayato had stopped walking. She stopped walking and turned to him. He stood a few feet behind her, his hands tucked in his pocket.

He was staring at her in confusion, his eyebrows crunched together, as if he were trying figure out a complicated 200 piece puzzle.

"Ayato-kun? You coming?" She asked, tilting her head to the side slightly.

"Why do you wanna be my friend? You know what I am. You know what I'm capable off. I could kill you without even trying and I wouldn't show any remorse or mercy. Yet you wanna be friends with me? I'm not sure if that's stupid or naive." He stated in a monotone as he stared down at her intensely, his face expressionless yet his blue eyes were searching hers for any negative reaction, or anything  at all.

A cool breeze swept by the two. Ruffling (Y/N)'s sailor type uniform and whipping her hair around her delicate face, making it look as if it were performing a graceful dance in the wind. Ayato stared down at her, the wind whipping his blue hair around his piercing blue eyes and ruffling his dark shirt.

(Y/N) smiled. It wasn't like one of her cheerful smiles that could melt the coldest of hearts. It was a different smile, a smile that held peace and content and yet a bit of lingering sadness that dissappeared almost as fast as it came.

"Everyone needs a friend Ayato-kun, even if you're a ghoul. You saved my life. Now let me return the favour."