Chapter 72

"You can't do this!"

Roman was to return to Hogwarts by the Order. With Snape as the Headmaster, Hogwarts now only takes purebloods and half-bloods, and with Roman being a half-blood he has to return to the castle knowing it was his only way to help the Order. His mother, on the other hand, did not want him to. She had been begging him to stop his packing and stay in the house the moment they saw an owl come to their window with a letter in its beak.

"I have to." Roman said as he pulled his trunk down the stairs.

"No you don't!" Mrs. Alston cried. "Don't do this, Roman."

"I have to, Mum." Roman said, "The Ministry of Magic has fallen – Harry, Hermione and Ron's missing – the Order is hiding – Carina's gone – I have to do something!"

"They stay here! Let them deal with it!"

"I can't... once I am in Hogwarts, I can give the Order an idea of what's happening inside... and maybe I would find Carina there as well."

"You don't have to! You can live here! Be normal – you can still go to high school and then college! It's not too late, Roman! You can leave all of that behind!"

"IF I DO, THEN THERE IS NOTHING LEFT IN THAT LIFE AS WELL!" Roman said. "I'm sorry, Mum, I know you had plan for me – to – to be like the other children out there, but the thing is... this is normal... and this is a part of me!"

"YOU'RE DOING IT FOR HER!" his mother cried.

Roman stopped before the door and turned to his mother.

"Why can't you just accept it that she will never see you differently..." his mother cried.

"Aye, I am." Roman muttered.

"You can forget about her, Roman..." His mother cried. "Please... I can't lose you... you're my only son!"

Roman felt tears build up in his eyes. He looked away from his mother and to the photo that hung at the wall; a photo of him, his father and his mother. A perfect family. A lie.

A lie he had lived for two years now...

"No. I'm not." Roman turned back to his mother.

He saw the look of shock in his mother's eyes, and it made the tears fall down his face.

"I know that I'm not your only son... I know that you have another family..." Roman muttered. "But Dad chose not to know..."

"Roman... I'm so sorry." His mother cried. "I love you... I love your father..."

"I know... but you loved the other one more... just like you love your daughter." Roman muttered.

"I love you, Roman." His mother wrapped him in an embrace. "You're my son... and I love you... Don't go... please... I'm so sorry..." his mother sobbed on his shoulder.

Roman wrapped an arm around his mother's body. It would be the last time that he would, and he wanted to feel it at least before he leaves.

"I love you, Mum." Roman whispered.

His wand pointed at his mother's head. With closed eyes, he muttered the spell that would save her life and give her the happiness she had.

"Obliviate." Roman whispered.

•†•

Alric Alston stood outside the Goldstein house with his hands tucked in his pockets. He was waiting for his son's return from their former home. And just on cue, Roman apparated before him with his things. He saw tears falling down his son's face, and he knew that the boy did not leave their home easily.