Chapter Twenty Nine

*Hey guys! So some bittersweet news, there are two chapters left after this. I hope you enjoy them though and remember to vote/comment and fan! You guys are the best!*

Violet’s POV. . .

I sat up in bed, unable to sleep. I looked at the Doctor to see that he was sleeping. I took a deep breath, I couldn’t stop thinking about River.

The conversation we had kept coming to my mind. I felt horrible for it. I kept thinking about what would happen if I was in River’s shoes. I would hate it. I love the Doctor and to know that he was with another woman would completely kill me.

I felt an arm wrap its way around my body as a pair of lips gently kissed my shoulder. “Hey,” the Doctor said, sleepily. “Hey,” I said, my voice small. “What’s wrong?” he asked, his lips brushing against my arm and shoulder. “It’s nothing,” I lied. “Come on Violet, tell me,” he said. “I feel bad for River,” I said.

He didn’t say anything for a while. “I do too, Violet. I feel bad because I’ve been a horrible husband to her,” he said. I turned to look at him. “Don’t say that,” I said. I didn’t want him to feel bad.

“But I have been. I know what’s going to happen to her and I still haven’t gotten better,” he said, rubbing sleep from his eyes. “What’s going to happen to her?” I asked. He sighed as I turned to him. “When I first met River she knew everything about me and I knew nothing about her. Then there came a time when I knew everything about her and she knew nothing about me. Our time lines go in different directions. But when I first met her, she died,” he said, looking down at the sheets.

“Does she know this?” I asked, gently sliding my hand down the Doctor’s arm. “No she doesn’t. But I knew and I’ve still been a bad husband,” he said, running his hand through his messy black hair.

“Doctor you’re an amazing husband. You just love both of us and I’m the kind of person who wants to be here with you and River’s independent. She would never be the one who would be laying here with you know, she would be off doing her own thing,” I said, trying to comfort him. The Doctor smiled slightly at me. “I guess your right. Now it’s time to go to bed,” he said. I smiled at him as I laid down. He laid down next to me, wrapping his arm protectively around me. “Good night Doctor,” I said, kissing his cheek. “Good night Violet,” he said, kissing my forehead.

Doctor’s POV. . .

After Violet was asleep, I slowly got up so I didn’t wake her. I had been a horrible husband to River and had to make it up to her before it was too late.

I quietly dressed and went to the controls, sending us through time and space. I opened the doors and stepped out. I left them open because I saw River right away who was getting suited up for the trip.

The trip that would kill her. “Hello sweetie,” she said, smiling at me. I smiled back, “Hello River,” I said, as she walked up to me. “Has Violet. . .?” she asked, unable to finish the question. I shook my head. “No, not yet,” I said. River looked at the ground.

“I didn’t come here to talk about Violet,” I said, and her face shot up to meet mine. “What did you come here to talk about?” she asked.

“I wanted to apologize to you. I’ve been a horrible husband and I hate that I did that to you. You didn’t deserve that,” I said. She smiled back at me. “If it meant not having you as a husband than I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.” I smiled at her, pulling her into a hug. “I’m so so sorry River,” I said, her eyes filling with tears. I hugged her tightly. “It’s ok Doctor,” she said, hugging him back.

“River?” I asked. She pulled away, looking into my eyes. I looked deep into her eyes. “I love you,” I said, kissing her. She kissed back, wrapping her arms around my neck. I deepened the kiss, pulling her close to me.

This was the last kiss River would ever get from me.

“River,” some guy called out. She broke the kiss turning around to look at him. I looked at him, I remembered him from the trip all those years ago. “It’s time to go,” he told her, ignoring me. “Give me a minute,” she said, turning back towards me.

“I love you too,” she said, kissing me again. I kissed back before she broke the kiss. “I’ll see you after the trip?” she asked. I smiled. “Of course,” I lied to her.

I had to lie, there was no other choice. She smiled back at me. “I love you Doctor,” she said. I smiled back at her, “I love you too, River,” I said, before walking back to the TARDIS.

I closed the doors behind me. I gently slid down to the floor, tears flowing from my eyes.

Violet’s POV. . .

I peeked my head out from the hallway to see the Doctor crying. I frowned to myself, I hated seeing him like this. I had heard everything that went on, but I had a feeling I should leave him alone. That he needed to be alone.

I turned, walking back to our room, leaving the Doctor to mourn his wife in private.