13: Birthday

Alex knew he would need help to make the surprise cake a success. Why a surprise he didn't know but Ander had convinced him it had to be a surprise.

To make that work in this small cottage it was essential to get Lenix and Unai to help. They played roshambo to decide who would ask Lenix to cooperate. Ander fought like his life was at stake. Alex would be so embarrassed to ask for another favor after Lenix already bought the ingredients for the cake. In the end, Fran lost, Ander and Alex were relieved and Alex went to the kitchen to prepare the ingredients.

Fran returned soon with the news that Lenix had agreed to help. She teased the boys about being cowards, but she was hiding her shaking hands for several minutes. She wouldn't ever admit the amount of stuttering she had done while asking or that she couldn't bear to look the man in the eyes.

Lenix will shield the noise and smells of the kitchen so Imogen doesn't notice and Unai will distract him with other things if he suddenly wants to visit the kitchen.

By the end, the kitchen was a mess. 

Alex was creating the cake from memory and doing a good job, but his assistants, Fran and Ander had never baked anything before. Ander may be a good cook but he was a bit too haphazard in his measuring for the precision needed for baking.

They did finally succeed in making a fantastic layer cake with fruit decorations and creamy filling. They carefully brought it out to the dining area. 

Lenix saw they were ready and removed the shield. Unai encouraged Imogen to investigate the yummy smell in the dining room. 

~~~

I was in my room practicing writing when a wonderful smell rendered me unable to concentrate

I was in my room practicing writing when a wonderful smell rendered me unable to concentrate. Unai noticed it too and thought it was from the direction of the dining area.

Everyone was in the room when I entered but all I really saw was the most beautiful giant cake I had ever seen. I love cake, last life I never knew cake existed until late in my years at the academy. I needed to claim this cake as my own.

I stood with my hands on my hips and declared loudly, "Congratulate me, everyone, today is my birthday!"

"What, really?" Ander asked. "Your birthday?" Fran said. "We didn't know that," Alex said. They all talked over each other.

"Me either until I saw that cake. It's so perfect that I need it to be my birthday cake. Congratulate me, everyone, today I'm seventeen."

"Seventeen? Kind of a pipsqueak aren't you?" Ander poked at me. "I'd guess fourteen at most."

"Look who's talking shorty. How old are you?"

Ander proudly stood as straight as he could to get more height. "I'm Fifteen and taller than you."

"Barely! Like what a cm? Besides, two weeks ago I looked twelve so fourteen is a big improvement."

[Another two weeks and you will look seventeen.] Lenix assured me.