Taken (pt.27)

Last night was unexpected and disastrous. I had woken up in the pack hospital a couple hours ago, with Rush telling me our pack was attacked. I wondered why I felt so weak, only to find out that the bomb that was planted in the house had silver in it. How they turned silver into a bomb reminded me of the one I had made years ago. With the smoke and silver inhalation, it made sense why I felt so weak.

Rush had left our room before the bomb exploded. He was called by Steven because there were a group of rogues at the border. The small distraction was all they needed to attack. I did wonder how they planted the bomb without me hearing it, but I knew the answer; I am getting too comfortable here. Luckily, many pack members didnt get hurt, since the attack happened on the Alpha's floor. Their main goal was to take me out, and they failed.

To say I was angry was an understatement. The nurse had to sedate me because I was practically ripping the walls off of my hospital room. Samuel knew better than to tell me that everything was fine like the other wolves had tried. He knew it was not okay that I had let myself get too comfortable, and leave myself vulnerable for an attack. All this week I had been grilling the wolves about the oncoming battle, when I had been the one who wasn't prepared or focused. Perhaps this is my answer. Maybe I am not meant to think with my heart, since it only leads me to disaster.

I was finally allowed to leave 30 minutes ago. Currently, I am pacing around Rush's office, trying to think of anything.

"Alex"

I turned to look at Rush, "No." I replied already knowing what he was going to say

He let out a tired sigh, "you need to rest"

He was right, but I couldn't rest. Not after we were just attacked. Not when I could have protected my pack from this. I shook my head 'no' and continued to pace around the office.

I was trying to solve a puzzle, my mothers puzzle. I am trying to find the missing pieces to show me her plan, but I can't seem to fill in the empty spaces. And that's when it hit me, this isnt a puzzle. My mothers is an intelligent women, she wouldn't be making a puzzle, she would be playing chess; calculating her next 5 moves and predicting my next one. I have been losing this game because I assumed it to be about finding the missing clues, looking for information. Instead, I should be getting into her head.

Why would she send a rogue to plant a bomb? She would want to kill me herself, with her own hands. She knew the bomb wouldn't kill me, so why? Was this the first attack before the war? Was this a warning? Or was this a distraction?

I stopped in place, "Rush"

He turned to look at me, "What?"

"What if this was a distraction? She wants to be the one to kill me, not a bomb!" I babbled. "So if she wants to kill me, then why send the bomb? Why cause the distraction?" I looked like a mad woman, but I continued to express my thoughts out loud. "...Are we missing anything?"

"What?" Rush asked, obviously baffled by my ranting

"That's why I would distract someone. If I needed to steal something. Maybe raid a room, or take something of importance." I concluded

'Josh, Henry, and Ryan, sweep the floors of the Alpha floor for anything missing. Do the same to the other rooms below' Rush mindlinked

"We'll know soon"

I let a breath out, content that maybe we were on the right track. My feet continued to pace around the room as the wolves searched.

_______________

Once the houses were swept, Josh came to inform us that nothing was missing. Great! Back to square one. I was so sure that she would use the bomb for a distraction.

I went to sit on Rush's lap, needing his touch to comfort me as my thoughts began to drown me. I snuggled into his chest while he played with my hair, allowing his heartbeat to lull me to sleep.

........
The white haired little girl with pigtails ran around the tree, giggling with glee as the white haired boy chased her, they were playing tag. The game wouldn't last long, the white haired woman would be back soon, and so would the punishments. The little girl and boy played, laughed, and tackled each other.

"You cant get me, Walkie!" The little girl giggled

The little boy pushed his legs even faster to catch his sister. It was almost impossible to catch her, she was a fast one. He only caught her when she allowed him to. The only person he knew who could catch her, was their mother.

The kids continued to play, running through the vibrant blue flowers, with the orange leaves crunching underneath them, and the red sky above them.
...

I woke with a start, scaring Rush. I jump off his lap, landing on my feet, ready to run.

"Alex, what's goin-"

I ran out of the office, and down the stairs. I pushed my feet to go faster, running down the halls eradically. I counted the doors going down the hallway, stopping at the 15th door. I waited a moment, hearing Rush's footsteps nearing. I waited for him to be by my side before pushing the door open. I grabbed onto his hand, confusion etched onto his face, but he didnt speak.

I turned the door knob, and pushed the door open. He wasn't here. I lifted the mattress, checked behind the shower curtain in the bathroom, but I knew I wouldn't find him. The tears came flooding down my face as my fear was becoming a reality. Rush pulled me into his arms, crashing to the ground as my legs could no longer hold me up. The heaviness set into my heart, knowing I would never see him again.

"She took him. She took Walker."
.