"Daddy's Got You"

The word 'Daddy' is used in this chapter, and I swear if someone makes a dirty comment I will block them. Kidding. Kinda.😂 It's meant to be innocent so please, let it be innocent.

***Important Announcement In Author's Note!***

——————————————————

*There's blood all over. A horrified looking Xander clutches his screaming brother with all his might. Ryder's face is red with furry, while Xander's is white with fear. The small apartment smells like gunpowder and iron.

Zoey's scream suddenly drowns out Ryder's. It sounds so much closer. My mind is fogged up with adrenaline and confusion; I already got Zoey. She's will Amelia.

The screaming and sobbing gets louder and louder as the blood on the floor gets closer and closer to me.*

I jolt to consciousness, but Zoey's screams don't fade.

Shit.

Jerking myself from my bed, almost tripping on the sheet, I rush to Zoey's bedroom.

After flipping on the hallway light, I run to Zoey's bed and pull her into my arms.

"Shh," I whisper into her ear, trying to stop her thrashing. "I've got you. I won't let you get hurt." I murmur to her shaking body.

"Daddy." She whimpers, her arms squeezing around my neck. The single word causes my body to freeze.

Legally, I've been her father for months, but with how scared she is of me it hasn't felt that way.

This is the first time I've even heard her speak.

"Yeah, sweetheart, Daddy's got you."

My arms quickly snatch Mayzie up before she can jump onto Amelia.

"Mayzie, careful, Mommy doesn't feel good."

Amelia hasn't blinked yet, which, I'm almost positive is a bad thing.

"Where does it hurt Mommy?" Mayzie asks, pushing away from me. "I can kiss it better."

Amelia doesn't move; instead, she stares at the miniature version of herself. Mayzie stares back expectantly.

"Uh, Mommy?" After getting no response, our daughters focus shifts to me. "Daddy, why isn't Mommy talking?"

"Your momma's throat hurts munchkin." Meghan jumps in. "She can't talk right now."

Amelia's still frozen.

"Xander, take your siblings to sit with Nana and Pops in the waiting room."

"Dad-" He starts to argue.

"Alexander." My voice holds finality, and his mouth snaps shut. Silently, he reaches out for Mayzie.

"Xander?" My wife's voice shakes, and her eyes widen as they move to our son in uniform. "Zoey?" They go to our older daughter.

"Hi, Mom." Zoey grins.

"Mom? No, I'm- I'm not..." She trails off and starts muttering to herself. The heart monitors beeping quickens.

"Alexander," I grit out my son's full name, "get your siblings out."

"Come on." He holds Mayzie on his hip while grabbing Theo's hand.

"No," Mayzie starts squirming in her brother's hold. "I want Mommy. Mommy!"

"Mayzie Lee!" I shout at my screaming daughter and her lip wobbles. "That is not how we act."