13 | h is for humilation

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter thirteen
H IS FOR HUMILATION
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter thirteenH IS FOR HUMILATION└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

LENA'S LEGS DANGLE OFF of the edge of the building. She and Peter have been silent the entire time, sitting beside each other on the ledge of the skyscraper but choosing not to discuss the incident that had just occurred. She wouldn't describe the tension as thick, but it's certainly not normal.

Lena opens her mouth to speak and finds that her words are trapped in her throat. She waits a few moments, open-mouthed like a dork, until she finally pushes her mask off of her face and rests it on top of the wig.

"Are you okay?" she asks, voice hesitant in case he snaps at her. He's been filled with negative energy from the moment Tony showed up at the ferry. She can tell he's embarrassed and humiliated that they'd failed at their task.

"Yeah," Peter responds quietly. He stares down at his feet as they swing before saying again, "Yeah. Are you?"

"Mmm-hmm," she hums, trying to hide her relief that they'd both escaped the scene unharmed. "Psychologically, no, but physically, yes."

He doesn't crack a grin at her half-joke. Lena bites her lip and glances away.

She can see the ferry being towed across the Upper Bay by another boat. From the top of the building, it looks relatively fine, meaning Tony had done an unbelievably good job putting it back together. She tries not to think about the cars that are sinking to the bottom or the possessions that may never be recovered. The incident must have been traumatizing to the people aboard.

Strangely enough, Lena has never been afraid of heights. The only thing causing her slight pulses of fear is her relatively close proximity to the water. Her hands betray her by trembling as both a result of her abilities and her fright, so she clenches them into fists in her lap and pointedly avoids looking at the bay. It's pretty hard, considering it's surrounding them, but they'd chosen this building to brood on because they could still see the ferry.

A helicopter soars above them. It's the only sound except for one that sounds vaguely similar to a jet and gets louder as it approaches them. Lena leans backward on the ledge to see the Iron Man suit hovering behind them.

She's been preparing herself for this, but apparently hadn't done a good job, because the first words out of Tony's mouth send her heart sinking downward like the cars at the bottom of the bay.

"Previously, on Peter and Havoc Screw the Pooch," he says. "I tell you two to stay away from this. Instead, you hack a multi-million-dollar suit so you can sneak around behind my back doing the one thing I told you not to do."