Chapter 7

"Oh, come on, Lily!" Rowan exclaimed, walking beside her friend on their way to Herbology, "You have got to be joking. Snivelly is trying to make up his own spells?"  

"No," Lily replied, "He already has."  

"But I didn't even know that was possible," Rowan said, "How could that freak know how to make up his own spells?"  

"Don't call Sev a freak," Lily said, "And he's a lot smarter than you think, actually."  

"I doubt that..." Rowan muttered, "Besides, you didn't really answer my question."  

"I don't know how he found out how to do it," she replied, "He just knows. I think he's been talking to the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, though."  

"I heard that he's really interested in the Dark Arts," Rowan said, "Is he? That's not exactly a good sign."  

"Yeah," Lily responded, "Yeah, he's been into it since his second year. Since he joined that stupid gang, really."  

"Who's in that stupid gang?"  

"Why do you want to know? Did Black put you up to this?"  

"No," Rowan insisted, "I'm here of my own accord. I'm just curious, Lily. I'm thinking of being an Auror."  

"Good luck with that," Lily said, "I don't really know much of who is in that stupid gang, but I do know that Rabastan Lestrange is in it, and Evan Rosier, Wilkes, and a few others that I don't know. Does that answer your question?"  

"Enough," Rowan replied, "Certainly enough."  

Lily looked at her quizzically as they arrived at the greenhouse.  

"He's making up his own spells?" Sirius asked incredulously, collecting a respectable "Shh!" from McGonagall, who operated the Study Hall.  

"Yes," Rowan replied quietly, "That's what Lily said."  

"Great," he muttered, "That's just wonderful."  

"Shh!"  

Rowan rolled her eyes exasperatedly and pulled a spare piece of parchment out from between her books and a quill pen from the pocket of her cloak. After quickly scribbling something down, she pushed the note across the table to him.  

You're overreacting.

Sirius took the quill he'd been using and wrote down two quick words, then passed it back over to her.

Am I?

Rowan was tempted to say, "Yes. Every time I say you are something and you ask 'Am I?' my answer is always going to be yes otherwise I wouldn't have said it!" But instead she wrote-

Yes, you are. How bad could they possibly be? He's a fifth year trying to make up his own spells. It's probably just stupid stuff like making people's ears buzz or gluing your tongue to the roof of your mouth.

Knowing him, it probably is. But honestly, do you think he'd be stupid enough to stop there?

What are you saying?

Could you ask Evans, maybe?