f i f t y o n e

Micah stares at me over Zara, his eyes are full of emotions I don't know if I can comprehend. I could get this man killed. I close my eyes, I feel a tear slip from my eye, down my cheek.

"Rose-"

I slide off the bed, slipping onto the balcony. It only takes moments before I feel Micah's hand by my side, his slow and careful, gentle even. He takes his time to slip his arms around me, gently pressing his lips to my neck.

"Micah," I whisper, desperate.

"Shh," he shakes his head. "Just let me be the man you want me to be."

I shake my head, "I need you to promise you won't get mad at me, no matter what I say."

"I promise."

Closing my eyes I imagine all the ways this could go. "I was at the park- this man. He came up to me. I don't know who he is, he didn't say his name but he knew me, knew Zara."

"Rose-"

"I only did it to protect her. He would have killed her if I didn't say anything. I didn't believe him, when he said someone was watching- with a gun. He told them to give a practice shot."

I can't help the tears that stream down my face. Micah spins me around, taking my cheeks in his hands. "I'm so sorry," I whisper. "I couldn't.. I didn't know what to do."

"Hey, Shh, it's okay."

"No," I shake my head, "It's not. He wants to kill you. It will be all my fault."

"Hey, hey, hey hey, baby. Listen to me," Micah wipes my tears. "You did what you had to do, okay? For Zara."

"But you-"

"I'll be okay," he whispers.

Shaking my head, "I can't loose you as well."

Micah places a kiss against my nose, "I promise you, I'll always be here. Okay?"

Leaning into his chest I sigh, pulling my arms around his abdomen, "I can't do this, Micah, I can't do this."

Micah kisses my forehead, sighing. His arms wrap around me, for a moment I forget everything around me. All I have on my mind is Micah's arms wrapped around me.

I hear quiet patted feet against the tiles, "mummy?" Zara has her fingers in between her teeth. I let go of Micah, picking her up.

"What are you doing up, baby?" I whisper.

"Hi," Zara whispers waving to Micah. "Daddy."

Micah grins, resting his chin on my shoulder and his arms around me, "You should be in bed, love."

Zara leans forward, kissing his nose. Smiling, Micah takes Zara from my arms, sitting in the chair, "you have a pretty damn amazing mum and a pretty shit-ass dad yet here you are, so damn perfect. You definitely get that from this one."

"That's not true," I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Get a blanket, maybe something warm for her. Let's stay out here for a bit?"

"Ok," I whisper, starring at Micah.

Going back in the room I grab a blanket and an extra jacket for Zara. Heading outside, I drape the blank over Micah and Zara. Putting on Zara's jumper, Micah lifts the blanket, "Rose, come on."

"Ok," I whisper, slipping onto the seat- more onto Micah's leg than anything. Sliding between Micah and the back of the couch I put my arm over his chest, reaching to Zara.

Her eyes are already closed and her cheek is rested against Micah's chest. Gently pinching her cheek I sigh, "how beautiful is she?"

"Just a bit more beautiful than you are."

♔♔♔

Zara runs around, playing in the playground. A few snowflakes fall down, making the park green and white. My body is tucked next to Micah, my head against his shoulder. Only a few other children play in the playground.

"I'll never truly understand how she's this energetic every day," Micah smiles, kissing my forehead.

Brushing snow off his black coat I sigh, "she has always been like this. She'll be a party animal, I bet you."

"You say that like I'll let her out of my sight when she grows up. This age is good, innocent and whatever. No boyfriends. No dating."

"She'll hate you," I laugh, "trust me, I know from true experience. When parents hold you back you- do things and don't listen to them, rebel out may I say."

Micah shakes his head looking down at me, he smiles shaking his head, "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Mummy," Zara runs to my legs, placing her hands on my knees. "Ater."

"Fruit?"

"Mmm.. no," she shakes her head, crawling onto Micah. "Hi daddy," she places a kiss on his face. Opening her pink back pack I grab her water, handing it to Micah who helps her.

Once she's done, she slips off Micah's lap and quickly goes back to run to the playground. Both Micah and I are too late to grab her before she runs into someone on the path, falling back and instantly crying.

The face. The voice. I know it all too well.

"Rosalie?"

I turn my face for a moment, I can't and don't want to face this, them.

My mother and father.

What on earth are they doing here?

"Rosalie!"

♔♔♔

From enjoying a day with basically my two favourite people I'm now stuck with my two least favourite also. The cafe is quiet but this table, it's even quieter. Zara hides between Micah and my chair, in her head probably wishing my parents were gone.

"Daddy?" Zara asks, starring at Micah from between our chairs.

"Princess?" Micah replies, looking down at her.

How I ended up in this predicament is still a wonder to me. When they said my name, I think I blanked out right until the waitress placed food in front of us. And that is a very long time span.

My mother takes a long hard look over Micah, Zara and myself. I can feel the judgement in her eyes. Micah pulls Zara from the floor onto his lap, I watch his lips part then close.

"Did you know," Micah speaks, "she's already had two surgeries, heart to be specific."

My father closes his eyes. No more conversation is said. The waiter places a plate in front of me, I thank him quietly before he walks away. Everyone eats in silence, I barely eat anything for that matter.

"Rose," my father speaks, "have you seen your brother lately?"

"No."

"His cold. Rude. He doesn't like to talk to us," mother interrupts. "Why bother asking about him?"

"Just because he didn't follow down the path you wanted him to, doesn't mean his cold or rude. His happy. And so am I even if things didn't go as you or I planned."