twenty six

March 3rd, 2017

Camila blinks in surprise when she feels a weight on her bed, and as tempted as she is to roll over and go back to sleep, she vaguely makes out her girlfriend's silhouette in her sleep-clogged vision.

"Hey, Camz," The girlfriend-shaped blob announces, "happy birthday. I came over early to make you some special birthday chocolate chip pancakes."

Camila sits up and rubs at her eyes, blinking the sleep away. She smiles a little at the single candle Lauren had stuck in the pancake stack. "A candle? Really?"

"Blow it out and make a wish, loser," Lauren rolls her eyes, "or I'll do it for you and steal your wish. I need a good grade on an essay I turned in, and I'm not afraid to resort to wish stealing."

Camila laughs a little, but blows out the candle, the only wish she has being that Lauren will always be by her side, even though she knows it's not likely to come true. "I didn't know you were coming over this morning."

Lauren watches as Camila digs into her pancakes. "It's your birthday. You're my girlfriend. It's simple mathematics, Camz."

"Well, thank you for coming," Camila smiles, stuffing as much pancake into her mouth as she can. "These are really good, by the way. As soon as I'm done I'm brushing my teeth, I can kiss you and give you the greeting you deserve."

Lauren smiles at her. "Well, hurry up and get ready. We've got plans today."

Camila raises her eyebrows. "And by plans, you mean you're distracting me and keeping me out of the house so my parents slash our friends can set up a surprise party or something."

Lauren lifts her wrist up to her mouth and stage-whispers into her watch. "Abort mission, guys. She knows!"

Camila laughs and gives her a playful shove. "If that's actually your plan, I'll go along with it."

"Well, sorry to disappoint, but I was under the impression that you didn't like parties." Lauren replies, shifting so she's sat next to Camila. "Your mom did tell me that you guys were going for a family dinner tonight, and I'm invited."

"Damn, you've already charmed my parents," Camila comments, "usually the Cabello birthday dinners are a family only event."

"Well, have you told them that we're together?" Lauren asks. "I know you semi-told them on Valentine's Day, but we weren't girlfriends then."

Camila sighs happily as she finishes her pancakes. "Girlfriend. I'll never get tired of hearing that word come out of your mouth about me."

Lauren smiles and kisses her cheek. "I like saying it. Hey, guys, this is my girlfriend, Camila."

Camila blushes and pulls Lauren in for a tight hug, burying her face in the older girl's shoulder. "Considering I've had a crush on you since pretty much the moment I saw you... this is amazing. I mean it'd be amazing anyway, because you're you, but- like... I just never thought I'd ever be able to call you mine. And now I can."

Lauren studies her for a moment, before her face breaks out into a grin. "Well... turns out all you needed to do was talk to me."

Camila bites down on her lip, because it's not entirely true. All she had to do was talk to this Lauren. But the other one... there's no way Camila could ever have her, and at this point, Camila isn't even sure she wants her.

"Yeah," Camila murmurs, squeezing Lauren's hand and passing her the empty plate. "Well, I'm going to brush my teeth so I can give you a proper greeting. You take that downstairs."